Studwork puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed that none of the upstairs internal stud walls in my house have the top plate fixed to the ceiling joists. In fact, there is a good 20mm clearance between the top plates and the underside of the joists. Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to why it has been built this way?

My guess is that the joists were put in first with plenty of clearance to the first floor, and then they had to make the studwork shorter to accommodate 2400mm sheets of plasterboard. It doesn't make for the sturdiest construction though!

Sponsored Links
A guess would be they forgot to fix them. Or the studs were all cut short.
You'd notice the gap if the pb didn't reach the ceiling...

Maybe I haven't described it very well. The walls are 2400mm tall, but then above the wall top plate is a ~20mm clearance to the joists. I wondered if they set the joists too high in the first place. Although I'd have expected them to put some scrap in the 20mm gap and nail thru, just wondered if there's any good reason for not doing so.

Maybe I haven't described it very well. The walls are 2400mm tall, but then above the wall top plate is a ~20mm clearance to the joists. I wondered if they set the joists too high in the first place. Although I'd have expected them to put some scrap in the 20mm gap and nail thru, just wondered if there's any good reason for not doing so.

nothing wrong with the gap -perfectly normal

everything wrong with the fact it was not packed and then the top plate fixed

joists wouldve gone in first -they are probably set on the wall plate

Sponsored Links
They built the stud framing on the deck then raised it. The floors and ceiling would have been in place.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back