Studying for the 17th regs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked if I would like to go on a course to bring me up to date with regards to BS7671, (i.e. 17th Regs). I would like to do a bit of studying and research before I accept so would like to know if anyone could give me any info as to what the agenda is likely to be and what the exam will entail please?

Also can you recommend any good books?

As background, I did my C&G over 25 years ago and have been an armature winder/electrical fitter ever since so haven't much practical experience of late. I did used to do rewires/alarms etc a number of years ago

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What was the last regs you worked to? 15th Edition? How familiar are/were you with that edition?

Have a look on ebay for a 17th edition training manual written by the NICEIC. It is very clear, and covers everything you need to know.

It has a big red spiral binder thingy on it (so you get the right one)

SS, yes you are right. Last regs I studied in-depth was the 15th however kept fairly up dated with the 16th when they came out but not so deeply as was not putting them into practise so much.
When you sit the exam are you allowed a list of formula's or do you have to remember them? What is the percentage you need to pass? I know this doesn't make me an electrician, just competent to adhere to the regulations, however, I find I am needing to know more about them as my job entails adapting to new situations on an ever increasing basis.

RF, will pop into Ebay and have a look, thanks.

Sponsored Links
I passed te 17th edition course yesterday (thanks to people who helped with some queries)
the 3 day course costs over five hundred squids so i bought a home study pack from flea bay which turned out to be excellent and saved me a fortune - only ended up paying £80 for the exam....

anyways the course study stuff is in pdf if you think you can use it :)

ezekiel,
thanks for that. What do I look for on ebay?
Only ever glimpsed om there, never bought anything.
Firm is footing the bill for the course and exam so not worried about that part just want to try and get up to speed with modern terms etc.

from what I've been told by workmates who recently sat their 16th ( bad timing or what? ), you can take the regs book in with you.. also it's multiple choice..

it's pretty idiot proof if you know where to find stuff in the book.. or can use an index..

I did the three day 17th edition course a few weeks ago, and you can take your regs into the exam with you.

As long as you are fairly well aquainted with the book, and can use an index, you should be fine.

Thats a relief! :rolleyes:

Had visions of trying to remember what numbers were for what regs! :LOL: :LOL:

Next step, get the boss to stump up £65 first!

Thanks RF.

Ezekiel, have sent you my email addy. Cheers mate.

had a bit trouble sending due to file size - rar them and sent individually let me know if you dont recieve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back