Stupidy alert - painted a varnished surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've already given myself a kicking, but I am quite opening to deserving more, but if anyone could kindly advise me on the best way to go please?

I have a wooden cabin in my garden that needed painting, I have a couple of days before going back to work. The weather is not too bad so lets paint it. I also thought, lets see what I can do with stuff I've already got as I've spent a load at Xmas.

I painted on some Ronseal fencelife plus, here comes my stupidity, the cabin was previously painted with timbrex timerguard. Been out hte 4 hours later and the paint isn't drying very well at all, I can rub it off with my fingers.

I also have a can of this stuff in my rack https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-p...-dry-exterior-undercoat-paint-750ml/p/0342045 could I get away with using this as a primer and try to seal over the coat of fencelife with this or should I abandon ship on using what I've got, sand it all off and go out and buy some zinsser bin or similar?

I have about 15 litres of fence life to use and its a small cabin 1X2 Metres so no issues if multiple coats needed.

cheers

Sponsored Links
timbrex timerguard appears to be an oil-based treatment, used on decking and the like. You can't paint over oil. Clean off the paint (it won't be adhering well) and apply another oil-based treatment.

If necessary, you can use a jet washer. I've never had to clean off oil, but jet will strip off coatings from fences and wooden cladding. It leaves the grain somewhat raised due to the abrasive action of the water (yes, really) so use a wide fan and stand as far back as you can so the scouring is just enough to remove the paint.

Paint on top of oil will fall off anyway, if you leave it out in the weather.

Ronseal fencelife is a water-based stain that leaves a waxy film on the surface ro repel rain and add colour. As it is water-based I doubt it will stick to the oily surface unless it is so dry and weathered that it is no longer oily. You can give it a try if you want. If you wait for a day with hot sunshine the waxy tratment you've applied may dry out, so see if it grips any better. You should not apply it in cold or damp conditions as the product will wash off with rain until cured.

I've used decking oil on the legs of my carport, and it seems quite durable, better than fence stain, but also more expensive. You may find a cheaper own-brand at places like Wickes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back