Styx SX20

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This boiler is the fore runner of Eurocombi with grey panel with red and black switch on the right and flame failure light in the middle.

Boiler runs OK from cold. When it gets hot, flame failure light come on randomly. Temperature is never into 95 degree overheat cutoff area.

ch thermostat does not register set temperature, so high flame it is to then shut down. Pump keeps running, primary water cools and burner refire, sometimes lockout takes place. Fact that CH stat is cuffed, boiler will reach max temperature to then shut down when button stat disconnects.

When boiler locks out, gas valve does not operate, nor is there a spark at the electrodes.

Have been to clients house twice already. Guidance from those in the know would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
who cares blokes a knob at the best of times.
take your question to your screwfix friends or have you pi**ed them all off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the offer Kevin, have the manual.

Seco needs to take some chill pills and take a walk in the park to cool off. Perhaps he needs to look a little more closely at the profiles before making a fool of himself.

Glad I have not said anything yet!

Back to the boiler!

This is a 1992 kind of Ariston, totally typical and very similar to other Italian boilers of the era like the Vokera and Ravenheat.

I have a little difficulty foillowing what Danny is saying about the CH stat not working.

If I recall correctly the CH stat SHOULD reduce the flame from max to a low value but it is not doing that.

I would suggest that should be changed first before wondering if there are really any other faults.

Probably the same stat as the other boilers I mentioned used.

I would also ask what the performance is on DHW.

Tony

Tony thanks for your input. CH stat can be replaced but that is a separate issue not related to boiler lockout. FF light randomly comes on when aforementioned stat is disconnected i.e. flame is at low rate as in step modulation.

Water systems, can you explain the discrepncy between

""Joined: 07 Aug 2007,Posts: 222""

and me being a member since 2003?

Its a while since I had to repair one of these so I dont visualise the inside.

Does it have the grey PCB box in the middle?

If so then I have found one or two which lost their sensivity to flame detection.

I also assume the min gas rate is correct and the detection electrode is correctly placed and has low resistance from tip to pac connection?

Trade enquiries are better in the cc where they dont get so much flack!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back