A shop downstairs and a flat above with its own independant door

The supply to the building is within the shop downstairs
Red phase only for the shop meter
Blue phase only via a switchfuse then 30 metre swa up to the flat meter

Now the swa needs replacing and the network power man said
1 There should be no switchfuse downstairs
2 It is not down to them to replace the cable

Sponsored Links
The responsibility for the supply changes at the output terminals of the meter. Assuming the meter is also downstairs in the shop, then the submain upstairs is not the lecky supplier (actually DNO) responsibility.

And yes, there should be a switchfuse in it - it's there to protect the cable between meter and the fuseboard or CU in the flat.

Is the switchfuse straight off the cutout and unmetered until it gets to the flat where it connects to the meter?

Is there a cutout in the flat next to the meter?

Is the switchfuse straight off the cutout and unmetered until it gets to the flat where it connects to the meter?
Yes it is

Is there a cutout in the flat next to the meter?
I dont recall seeing a cut out , sorry just the meter and the dist board
I will check my pics later in case
The two levels have two different owners now

Sponsored Links
The cut out downstairs is 100 amp i assume the switchfuse was put in to downrate to 60 amp due to the underrated swa.

Im assuming edf would want an unswitched 100 amp rated cable run in

I will post pics later the work was appalling :mad:

Now the swa needs replacing and the network power man said
1 There should be no switchfuse downstairs...
That makes sense. One certainly wouldn't normally expect a switch prior to the meter and, as for the fuse, does the SWA not arise from a cutout which already contains a service fuse? There's no point in fusing that down with a second fuse - they surely might as well have put a smaller fuse in the cutout - or use SWA meaty enough to be adequately protected by whatever fuse is in the cutout.
2 It is not down to them to replace the cable
Who do they think it's down to - the Meter Operator? If it's on the supply side of the meter, it surely can't be the consumer's responsibility?

Kind Regards, John

Sounds like a "DIY" meter move to me.

I think to be honest, the only proper fix here is to have a new DNO supply run from the shop downstairs to the flat, so the flat ends up with it's own cutout feeding straight into the meter.

Thanks rf
Dno man there today changing the downstairs cut out but said point blank the cables nought to do with them, i will leave it to our office to sort out

Something not right here, the Br +Bl tails now disconnected were from the cut out :confused:

Rough only earth connection to flat above

Swa connection to upstairs meter 3 core luckily

join above shop ceiling, sub main to flat, cover missing to the earth luckily

Yep, that's a DIY meter move.

Someone will be having to pay for a new supply installation to the flat :rolleyes:
Had they left the meter in the shop then it would have been OK-ish (ignoring the dodgy standard of work) - though somewhat impractical as it would have meant access to the shop to read the meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back