sub main

Sponsored Links
Messy
Single phase supply into a 3 phase cut-out with a loop to a second 3ph cutout. Feeding 6 individual meters for flats I guess?
Probably 60A fuses

Single phase supply? Looks like two independent TPN supplies, one newer than other, with the older perhaps with a new cutout.

My DNO won't do this (two supplies), they Would want a larger supply to a Ryfield type board.

It doesn't seem right having two heads and splitting the N and E over them.

Sponsored Links
Theres a definate link from one head to the other.
im not sure why westie said single phase, theres a disused single phase meter there, but im not sure if that was ever related to the supply.
I assume the new stuffs for the residential flats above

Never is a 400v label on a head I dont think.
For single phase outputs from a 3 phase head its not normal to identify or colour the cable, in fact i think its against the regs nowadays

Theres a definate link from one head to the other. im not sure why westie said single phase, theres a disused single phase meter there, but im not sure if that was ever related to the supply.
Speaking from a position of relative ignorance about such matters ... I assume that what westie was saying (which is also what I thought when I first saw the pics) is that they have probably just used two (linked) 3-phase cutouts (as a matter of 'convenience') as a means of splitting a single-phase supply into six set of tails (assumed for the meters oif 6 flats), each with their own service fuse. I don't know what the normal way of doing it is (presumably not what we're looking at!), but it sounds to me like a reasonable enough way of doing it, if the supply is single-phase.

I must say that I would probably have expected to see a 3-phase supply, with each phase supplying two of the flats (if that's what they are), but I guess that there is variation in how they do these things. ... but there again, it could be 3-phase!

Kind Regards, John

The reason I say single phase is: -
1/ The incoming cable and the loop are too small to be 3 phase.
2/ I have never known anyone do a 3 phase loop as there is insufficient space in the crutch area of that type of cut-out to do it safely
3/ The loop cable is installed well under the bending radius of a 3 phase cable, so no way could one be installed in that situation.

As for load the cable will be rated at about 147A

Would 6 supply onto single phase be too much for one incoming cable? Overloading?
That would obviously depend upon the size of the incoming cable, which westie has now told us would probably be about 147A. DNOs necessarily rely heavily on diversity (it would be ridiculous for them to create a network which could cope with every domestic consumer using 80A or 100A continuously and simultaneously!!), and I would guess (westie can confirm) that 147A is probably more than enough (with diversity) to provide 6 supplies - an average of about 24.5A continuously for each and every of the six supplies (which is probably not going to happen, domestically).

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure it's something I would do, but the proof of the pudding is that despite it's looks it works and shows no sign of overheating.

Not a very technical way of deciding, but true!

Would 6 supply onto single phase be too much for one incoming cable? Overloading?
Depends on the size of the cable. Do you think there are ever more than 6 houses on one phase from a substation, i.e. do you think that we have 1 substation for every 18 houses?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back