Sub Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size SWA will be needed to supply a CU, which will only have a lighting circuit 6A, Shower 32A and Ring 32A?
The length of the sub main will be 50M tho

Sponsored Links
16.0mm² 3 core SWA will allow you a load of 68A (all your circuits at full load), over a distance of 50m.

I have not applied diversity.

Sponsored Links
Cheers RF, but what about applying diversity? What would it be then 10mm?

Still 16.0mm²

Are you trying to get down to a 10.0m² to save some money?

Save money, and effort putting it in, seems its a 50M run!

wudda thought XLPE rated at 73A wudda been fine

Do you have switches etc rated to 90 degrees to take the XLPE?

Also the cable is 16mm² due to volts drop.

If you are going to all the effort of putting in 50m of SWA, then put in something that will also give you room for future expansion.

Stop being a tight arse and do the job properly.

He's got a job lot of 10 from e-bay & is reluctant to let go.....??

3 Core SWA. If your going to use this as single phase (2 core and earth) Cant it be treated as 2 core single phase i.e. 85A

For 3 core (3 phase) the CCC would be 73A. but if used for single phase cant you treat it as such and have an increased CCC.

What Im trying to say is are the tables and cable manufactures specs depandant on the use of the cable?

is it 50mts detached from the building mains? if so AFAIK , it will need to be earthed with its own system i.e. a stake. so removing the need of the 3rd core.

perhapes someone in the know could clarify

ml1936 said:
It would be used as single phase neutral n earth, so is that true?

I dont know if its true Im just posing the quesiton for some of the more experianced sparks, Anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back