Subsidence or damaged lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a Victorian Semi 2 years ago. The black door photo was taken 7 years ago, the blue door photo 2 years ago and the loose bricks is a current photo. Advice would be appreciated please.

Screenshot_20231219-222043.png
Screenshot_20231219-222010.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231219-221959.png
    Screenshot_20231219-221959.png
    1 MB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Have replacement windows been fitted?

Show us the inside.

How many photos did you intend to post?

One clear and two blurry photos!

In the absence of any other cracking inside and out, I'd suspect thermal (shrinkage) as the cause.

I think the joggled soldiers used to stand on a sturdy wooden window that has been taken out. So they have fallen down. I think it is too late to just add a boot or angle, and the bricks will need to get taken out (with great care) and the aperture rebuilt.

If any of the original bricks get lost or damaged it will be tiresome to find matching replacements.

Sponsored Links
I would say that there has been some minor structural movement, possibly subsidence, which has caused the brickwork to crack along the weakest point which is between the front door and first floor window and above the first floor window. This movement has opened up the joints in the brick arch above the first floor window which has weakened the arch and allowed the bricks to drop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back