Sudden cracks in joints, door frames and ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, over the past few weeks I have noticed cracks in my house around the upstairs door frames, running down the side of the join of the stairs and the wall and on the ceiling. The house is 18 years old, we have been here 10 years, never noticed the cracks before, but upon closer inspection it looks like they had some sort of filler in the past (except the around the door frames and along the stairs). The ceiling one is the worst one, and this looks like its new.

I wonder if anyone could give me any advice on whether this is something I need to be concerned about and get checked out, or if its just natural movement in the house? It would be much appreciated!

I have attached a few photos showing the cracks:

Sponsored Links
Hi, over the past few weeks I have noticed cracks in my house around the upstairs door frames, running down the side of the join of the stairs and the wall and on the ceiling. The house is 18 years old, we have been here 10 years, never noticed the cracks before, but upon closer inspection it looks like they had some sort of filler in the past (except the around the door frames and along the stairs). The ceiling one where is meets the side of the stairs is the worst one (see first 2 pics), and this looks like its new.

I wonder if anyone could give me any advice on whether this is something I need to be concerned about and get checked out, or if its just natural movement in the house? It would be much appreciated!

I have attached a few photos showing the cracks:

When was the last time you decorated as these could be old cracks and not noticed them.

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply, its probably been about 4 years since we last decorated, I don't remember noticing any cracks then.

It looks like some of the cracks have been smoothed over / filled in before we moved in and this has now split, but some of them are new. The cracks seem to have come on / show again all of a sudden, we've only noticed them in the past few weeks.

Sponsored Links
These are all typical shrinkage, and are common at this time of year as heating patterns, and temperature and humidity change. Yes, they happen suddenly inside and out. Nothing to be worried about

Thanks for the reply woody, that's put my mind at rest thank you.

I have exactly the same story my house built 18 years ago and we moved in as new and it has been decorated by myself and so I know of any cracks etc. During this winter all of my internal doors have developed cracks around them just like your pictures. I have cracks appearing down the woodwork down the stairs and around skirting boards. Even some of the plaster coving has hairline cracks at the joints.
I asked a builder and he thinks that its due to the unusual weather and the knock on use of heating this year. I hope that hes correct I think that I am going to have to buy a boat load of Decorators caulk :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back