Suffolk Punch 35s not starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all -
i purchased a second hand suffolk punch 35s petrol lawnmower a few months ago. - It's been a great mower though currently it's stopped working/firing over. thought maybe it was because i added old fuel - so i drained this out and put new petrol in - and still nothing. Its sparking so seems strange - I also cleaned out the carburettor but no success. - this wasn't the the best solution - but i took the spark plug out - put a thimble of petrol in where the spark plug goes - spark plug back in and pulled - and it worked and fired up for 5-7 seconds but then died out. Seems to be a fuel blockage? - but i've tried all avenues with no success or noticeable blockages - would appreciate and advice you could give an amateur Best regards Parkie.

Sponsored Links
Just for starters (Ha!) turn the fuel off. Can you remove the float bowl with the carb in place? If you can, pop the float bowl off, turn the petrol on and see if there's fuel flowing from the needle jet.
Dell Orto carb I think - unless its very old with a Zenith. Is the engine grey or black?
John :)

Hi Burnerman - thanks for the reply - the engine is black. - thanks Parkie.

OK can you do my trick with the float bowl?
The next bit is to check the main jet and the emulsion tube above it......how far did you go with the strip down?
Some models had a filter in the fuel pipe which is best removed - just rely on the one within the petrol tap.

Sponsored Links
Hi Burnerman

I removed the carb bowl and it was full of debris which i cleaned out - though a pin flew onto out and onto the floor - any idea where it goes? as i want reassemble back and give it a try (i've attached a picture in my images/album as not sure how to attach to this post.
appreciate yours/anyone else's advise

many thanks Parkie

The pin you mention is likely to be the float hinge pin.....maybe 2cm long, 3mm diameter?
Also make sure that the needle (point upwards) is connected to the float - some clip into place, others just rest on the float itself.

Edit!! Just seen your pic - thats the float needle in your hand - sorry!
J.

Hi John - many thanks for the reply - sorry to disturb your easter friday :)
I'm really not sure where i need to put the float needle back in place - ? any suggestions many thanks Parkie.

i've fixed it - finally worked out where it goes - though the carburetor float bowl drainer snapped (old/wear and tear) looks though ebay have them for a fiver - i'll report back once i'e received/fitted this - thanks parkie.

Nice one parkie! That spring loaded thing is actually quite useful for testing to see if the fuel is entering the float bowl......if it is, you get a petrol soaked finger - if its dry then the needle is sticking up in the closed position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back