Suggestion for improving this site

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Topics can get several pages long, frequently with several sub-topics, which often makes it difficult to follow the discussion.

My suggestion is that the replies to a particular post should go immediately under the post, similar to the way YouTube displays posts. So, instead of having a "post reply" button at the bottom of the page, each post would have a "reply" button. The reply would then go under that post. If possible, replies should be indented and even collapsed to a single line with + and - buttons to open and close the post.

Sponsored Links
not trying to be awkward :LOL: but i do also use yahoo forums, and another laid out like DIYnot, and I prefer the DIYnot syle.

I particularly dislike Nesting. I have an idea Yahoo is based on 1980's bulletin boards or PROFS but I can't remember now what they used to be like.

It seems good to me that on DIYnot, if you get a "new reply" notification, the link takes you staight to the post that arrived since you last looked at it. This one seems to me to be easy and quick to read and follow.

Sorry!

D_Hailsham, people do not read the rules as it is, so there is little chance of anyone following your suggestion :cry:

I do have to say that I like the forums which send you an actual copy of any replies rather than a tedious link to follow!

Tony

Sponsored Links
yes, good point, I get that from another forum and it is quite handy. I only need to sign in if I want to reply.

I have set up a mail rule to put them all into a dedicated maillog for that club so I can look at them when I feel like it.

I do have to say that I like the forums which send you an actual copy of any replies rather than a tedious link to follow!

Tony

The problem with that in relation to this system is that it only emails you once and wont email you again for any subsequent replies until you have re-visited that topic, so you would get notification of the first response but anything else you would miss out on unless you revisited that topic at a later date anyway.

D_Hailsham, people do not read the rules as it is, so there is little chance of anyone following your suggestion :cry:
But, if there is no "general" reply button, only one in each post, they will naturally press the reply button to the post they are reading.

Pressing "Quote" would work the same way, except the text of the post would be repeated for editing.

Back