Suggestions for most natural finish possible for oak floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just sanded the oak floor in our lounge/hallway, it having been caked in a horrible thick, dark brown stain the past 30 years. I love how its come up, and have been testing with some finishes to protect it.

I purchased some Ronseal clear, satin water-based varnish in the hope it would keep the natural look as much as possible. I used it on some oak doors, and it looked great on them. However, I don't like how it looks on the floor at all. It seems to have made it go a yellow-ish colour, and compared to the natural wood, I personally think it looks awful. Luckily I only tested it on a small area!

So my question is, does anyone have any advice/suggestions for a finish that I can use that won't differ too much from the natural look? I have attached some photos below - one showing the natural, unfinished look (1st picture) - and another with the satin varnish (2nd picture - you can see the contrast with the natural finish).

I basically want it to look as close to the natural look as possible, but obviously have protection from any spillages and our cats which like to come in with dirty paws regularly.

I don't mind a matt or slightly satin finish - it's the colour I'm more interested in preserving. I also don't mind something that has to be reapplied regularly. Doesn't have to be a varnish - I'm open to anything.

Any suggestions appreciated :).

Thanks!

IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0859.JPG

Sponsored Links
Hard wax oil might be a good bet for a natural look. There are several brands, Treatex being one I used. They do a clear that comes in Matt, satin and gloss finishes. Easy to apply and easy to fix should you get any scratches. Do a test first, I have been told it is very natural in colour. I can’t verify that as I stained my boards prior but the colour didn’t change on application of the clear oil.

The other well known brand is Osmo, but I didn’t go for that as many suggest it has quite an orange tint.

I use vegetable oil on my lapacho (brazilian walnut) floor, was previously oiled.
Contrary to comments it doesn't go rancid.

If you've got a spare plank, give it a blast.

Thank pilsbury I’ll take a look. There are so many products out there it’s hard to know where to start!

And Mr Chibs - actual domestic vegetable oil? That you buy in the supermarket?

Sponsored Links
Yeah I'm not so keen - but will take a look (if only out of curiosity rather than anything else!)

linseed is vegetable oil
walnut is vegetable oil
teak is vegetable oil
Danish is vegetable oil

Of course it should be pointed out that you can cook in most standard vegetable oils, but not in teak, linseed or danish oils - not that it should make a difference in this case - as they have additional chemicals in them. Rapeseed and corn oil are the most common vegetable oils bought at the supermarket, and they'll provide a protective cover to the floor in terms of water ingress, but it's not so easy to clean them and protect the colour of the wood as Osom oil would, as it will provide UV protection to the wood as well.

You may find this interesting though if you want to go the vegi route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back