Suggestions to removing laminate from around fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, would appreciate some thoughts. We have laminate in our living room and fancy changing for carpet or another flooring type, but have realised that the fireplace sits on top of the laminate, making the job of removing harder. We have spoken to the fireplace company and because of the weight, limestone, and the way it was installed, they don't recommend moving the fireplace, as it is likely to break, so our only option is ways of removing the laminate carefully around it. Using a chisel is out of the question due to the risk, but any other options you can think of?

Sponsored Links
Multi tool like a Bosch PMF 180 or any similar variant.

It has a cutting attachment for wood that is ideal and will allow you to cut the laminate so that only the bit under the hearth is left in situ.

Thanks for your thoughts, that might be an option, though an expensive one.

Any more suggestions?

Aldi are selling the multi saws for about £30 I think. Bargain if any left. Would do the job great.
I have the bosch one but use for work so worth spending more.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I had to take some stuff back to Homebase and spotted the Bosch on sale (£59) so decided to buy it.

Now need to man up and risk cutting next to the fireplace. Any suggestions on the best way of protecting the fireplace? I was thinking about holding a fine piece of metal sheet against it to shield it. Also, how effective is Bosch at going through laminate, will I need to score it first to go through the shiny top layer without the Bosch slipping?

A peice of ply would do or metal. Should just cut straight through if a good blade on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back