Suggestions to tackle this bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently found myself homeless so took whatever the council would offer me. Sadly the place I took is in a bit of a state.

The bath panels need replacing. Out of interest, what is the cheapest way to cut shapes out of bath panels like this, to make room for pipes? Is it just a case of scoring it again and again with a stanley knife until it breaks?

I have no experience tiling walls but I think it would be best to rip off the tiles and redo it as the workmanship is pretty shoddy.

However the bathroom suite is pretty ****e so maybe the suite needs replacing too. Don't have the money for that though sadly. I'm told removing the taps can be awkward?

Any ideas how to get the surface flat? It's very raised above the tiles. Wouldn't sanding it be a bad idea as it'll release loads of toxic stuff into the air? Is it worth renting an electric sander with a very efficient vacuum cleaner or should I skim it here? Will I find it very difficult to get the edges right if skimming without the right tools?

I definitely think I should seal with PVA and skim the next bit. I've bought some ready made plastering skim from Wickes for the job for 14.99.

There's lots of other jobs in the flat that need doing too but won't go into those just now.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are your landlords happy for you to undertake DIY in their property?

DIY is encouraged but were I to rip tiles off, left and didn't replace I wohld understandably be billed for it to be rectified. Saying that looking at the state the property was in when I took it, they don't seem to enforce this very well or maybe just don't bother to lok for it.

There's a moving in standard that the property should have met but I think with all these budget cuts the councils get quite lax.

Sponsored Links
There is the HHSRS and Housing Quality Standard they need to adhere to.

How old is the kitchen and boiler? Is it gas or storage rads?

There is the HHSRS and Housing Quality Standard they need to adhere to.

How old is the kitchen and boiler? Is it gas or storage rads?

I was fortunate as both the boiler and all the radiators were replaced just after I moved in as part of an improvement drive across the estate.

I haven't asked about the age of the kitchen but it looks newer than the bathroom and the bathroom unbelievably was put in 2002 but I'm told the previous tenants trashed the place.

They're ok as far as HQS/Decent Homes Standard is concerned then.

Your last option is to complain about the paint flaking, more than likely due to either shower or mixer taps fitted - the shower has then wet the walls. If shower fitted tell them it needs additional tiling or will continue to cause trouble with

Pressed reply by accident...

A shower without tiling will flake the paint like that.

Alternatively ag them saying the paint flaking off fails the Housing Health and Safety Ratings System (HHSRS) and they need to fix it (tile round bath/shower.) that should get you started and can then paint all tiles to match.

Sorry say it fails HHSRS on damp and mould growth.

They will defo be alarmed when you mention HHSRS and you will get something done.

Post a photo of your bathroom full shot and also just your whb. I'll be able to tell you if they're being truthful by suggesting it was installed 2002.

Post a photo of your bathroom full shot and also just your whb. I'll be able to tell you if they're being truthful by suggesting it was installed 2002.

Hi Nick, I apologise that I didn't get back to you about that photo. The council were not being very helpful.

I decided to remove all the tiles off the wall but even though I thought I was doing a good job I managed to pull off the plaster in some places, the worst it took a chunk out and exposed breezeblock. I rang the council and they said not to worry, won't have to pay anything and they're popping round tomorrow to have a look at it.

What surprised me was to find the same flaky paintwork underneath the tiles and some sort of crappy crumbling brown plaster underneath. I thought it would be the same as above. Any idea what's going on there?

Also there's a really hard filler very visible in the first photo and it was a chuck of that stuck to tile adhesive that took the plaster off. That's why getting those remaining tile bits on the bottom left hand side of the image is more difficult. Ah yes I dunno if this is common practice but they left the tile spacers in everywhere.

IMG_20160504_212505.jpg

IMG_20160504_212444.jpg

IMG_20160504_212456.jpg

I think it's just as well there's a shower at the gym! lol :)

Last edited:
I would have thought that place falls below the minimum standard of a council place.

It would be in their interests to do this work for you, particularly as you are clearly inexperienced at this some of this work, and (respectfully) may make a mess of it.

It's worth keeping on at them to try to rectify some of this damage, it will have to be done at some stage, even later if you ever move out.

Then again I don't know what your agreement was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back