Suitable books for electricians course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be changing my career next year and want to re train as an electrician. The course starts next year but as I am a complete novice I would like to have a basic understanding before I start. Which books could I purchase, as there seems to be a lot on the market.

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
When I attended a course I was given a book list. In fact many of the pages required were provided as part of the course. You are far better asking the lecturers on the course than asking on here.

There are some standard books BS7671:2008 for example and the guide to it but by next year amendment 2 may be published and jumping the gun could be expensive.

You can join the IET as a student member which means you can buy the books cheaper that is what I did. The meetings are very interesting and include pre-views to what will happen in the future. Again I attended many of these in my area but will admit I was an electrician before I took my degree and got interested in the IET.

Most good education establishments will encourage IET membership but some lecturers feel undermined when students are more up to date than them selves.

I would say library is your friend. Don't forget most collages have a library where you can read books but until enrolled you can't remove but you can still read in the library.

I had a lot of time before my course started, so what I did was learn the regs using the NICEIC workbook. http://www.amazon.co.uk/7671-Learning-Guide-2008-Understanding/dp/1906091048
Gave me a huge leg up and the parts it covered were done much better than the course provided explanations.
The 2382 exam itself was a doddle once I'd worked through the book - no need to spend money on a course - just do the exam through the IET.

Sponsored Links
I will take your advice and wait until I enroll on the course.
If you're not going to enrol for some time, it would seem a shame to waste potential 'reading time'. If you were to contact the college (or whatever) where you intend to do the course, I imagine they could put you in touch with one of the course lecturers so that (s)he could advise you now about what background reading would be useful.

Kind Regards, John

Buy the book from the IET on earthing and bonding and read it at least a hundred times until you know it word for word and actually understand it. So many electricians have very little understanding of what is the most important part of the job.

I will be changing my career next year and want to re train as an electrician. The course starts next year but as I am a complete novice I would like to have a basic understanding before I start. Which books could I purchase, as there seems to be a lot on the market.

It maybe wise to ask the training provider what publications would be suitable.
I would expect the course to be run in units/modules and publications out there that run with your course.

There is lot of online information available, at a very basic/novice level I would just for now look for some cheap books just to give you an understanding, as you will be spending plenty of money in the coming years on publications, books, guidance notes etc..

Maths is a big part of the course work, so some work on ohms law, circuits in series and parallel would be advised.

What course is it you are enrolling on?

It maybe wise to ask the training provider what publications would be suitable.
I would expect the course to be run in units/modules and publications out there that run with your course.

There is lot of online information available, at a very basic/novice level I would just for now look for some cheap books just to give you an understanding, as you will be spending plenty of money in the coming years on publications, books, guidance notes etc..

Maths is a big part of the course work, so some work on ohms law, circuits in series and parallel would be advised.

What course is it you are enrolling on?

If I'm honest there so many numbers to take in. City & Guilds 17 edition, the out come being a qualified domestic engineer.I'm starting the course next spring. I have always had a general interest in the subject and I'm now coming to the end of my current career and would like to become an electrician. I understand it takes time and that is why Id like to learn some of the basic principles before i start.

The C&G2382 or 17th Edition course is a course to show you can read the book. It does nothing more. The point is there is not enough time to look up every question so you need to be able to answer some without looking it up.

To be frank it's easier for a non electrician than an electrician as we also have all the old answers in our heads so you want to make sure the edition you read is the edition your to be tested on.

I am sure first one I took also included questions from the on-site-guide but last one I did was taken before the on-site-guide had been issued for that edition so there were no on-site-guide questions.

This course and exam does not teach you to be an electrician all it does is make you remember some of the regulations.

For example it refers to "impedance" but it does not explain what impedance is it is assumed you are already an electrician and the exam is to show people you are up to date and you know that things allowed in 1960 and not allowed now i.e. you have kept up with latest regulations.

The exam is also taken by allied trades central heating guys will often do limited electrical work, same with plumbers they need to know when they replace a copper pipe with plastic if they need to connect either end with a earth wire or not for example.

But all it really shows is you can read a book. No questions are asked to demonstrate you have understood what you have read.

If I'm honest there so many numbers to take in. City & Guilds 17 edition, the out come being a qualified domestic engineer.I'm starting the course next spring.
That sounds like you are sitting the wiring regulations, If that is the case I would reconsider and take a couple of steps back and learn about the design, construction and application of circuits, the regulations will all come together as you progress.
I have always had a general interest in the subject and I'm now coming to the end of my current career and would like to become an electrician. I understand it takes time and that is why Id like to learn some of the basic principles before i start.
You need to be looking at doing a city & guilds 2330, then progressing to level 3. Inspection and Testing and the regulations will be touched on in 2330, then you can once completed the level 3 units, go for the regs and more advanced quals in inspection and testing.

There are some standard books BS7671:2008 for example and the guide to it but by next year amendment 2 may be published and jumping the gun could be expensive.

Amendment 2 has already been published, and is merely an additional section (not a new book). Amendment 3 (BS 7671:2008 (2015)) is due to be published next year.

If I'm honest there so many numbers to take in. City & Guilds 17 edition, the out come being a qualified domestic engineer.I'm starting the course next spring.
That sounds like you are sitting the wiring regulations, If that is the case I would reconsider and take a couple of steps back and learn about the design, construction and application of circuits, the regulations will all come together as you progress.
I have always had a general interest in the subject and I'm now coming to the end of my current career and would like to become an electrician. I understand it takes time and that is why Id like to learn some of the basic principles before i start.
You need to be looking at doing a city & guilds 2330, then progressing to level 3. Inspection and Testing and the regulations will be touched on in 2330, then you can once completed the level 3 units, go for the regs and more advanced quals in inspection and testing.

Cheers!

All cleared up now. Just spoke to the course provider, that is exactly what I'll be doing.

Thanks all for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back