Suitable Lighting Connectors for external lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to replace 3 external wall lights on the front of my house. They look like they were Cheapies from one of the Sheds and are starting to corrode. They are fitted on the wall right up under the Soffit ( Single storey house ) and operated by a PIR at the front door location, with the main switch just inside the front door. From what I can see there is a 1.5mm T&E running the length of the house behind the Soffit and the feeds for the lights have been taken from this, coming through the soffit to the lights. The junctions for these feeds appears to be only done with terminal blocks that have then been taped up and then pushed back up through a hole in the soffit.
Although these terminal block Junctions are in a dry location under the soffit board, I'm guessing that this is probably not the best way to make the connections for the lights. Is it acceptable ( within regs ) just to use a standard chock bock for these junctions, and then maybe tape that up, or is there a better way, bearing in mind that there is a limited space to push any king of connection back through the soffit board. Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
The connectors are fine in themselves but they should be in an enclosure unless contained in the light itself.
Will the cables come down to reach the light (if there is room in it).

How big is the hole?

Thanks for the Reply,
I Don't think there is enough T&E cable to come straight into the new light fittings. I am still making my mind up which fittings to choose at the moment. However, the soffit board is the type that has a continuous ventilation Grill along its length, and not individual round vents. All around the house this continuous Grill vent has been covered over with what looks like 3ft Lengths of ply, leaving about a 4 inch Gap between every piece of ply for Ventilation of the roof space. The Flex from each light goes through a drilled hole in the soffit close to the wall, but behind the Ply covering the vent Grill above the light, a hole has been cut in the grill to make the connection for the light and then pass the flex down through the drilled hole. The holes in the grill are approx. 2" x 2". Just big enough to shove the present terminal blocks back through after connection made I guess. Hope I've explained this clearly
Looking at it I could widen the aperture made in the soffit grill to facilitate a decent connector before putting the ply back in place. So do you thing just a Chock Box enclosing the terminals would be ok ?. Just to add the environment here is very salty in the winter, as I just a couple hundred meters from the shore. ( Orkney Isles )

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the Help Chaps. Never heard of those Gel Boxes before. Very interesting. Think I'll use the Choc. Just wasn't sure about whatever I used needed some kind of IP Rating in that Location

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back