Sulphate Attack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Buying a house and just received the survey back. The surveyor worries about possible sulphate attack.

The house is in an old mining area (ended 1965). He wants to find out exactly when the house was built because he comments on 'uneven laminate floor downstairs'. Done a bit of research and found something about building regulations being introduced in 1965 as well. Would this affect the concrete base - due to a DPM being required? The house was registered in 1973 as well.

Just worrying about this and wondering if anyone could help!

Sponsored Links
If the property is in a location where similar properties are known to have suffered sulphate attack, then you (or more likely the seller) will need to have the floor and ground tested to confirm that sulphate levels are insignificant, or the existing owner should provide a certificate to prove the same, or that floors have been renewed previously.

You are unlikely to get a mortgage where a potential problem with sulphates in the ground exists.

DPM or not, as soon as the survey mentions uneven ground floors, then alarm bells will ring

No problems with the mortgage yet. The surveyor has valued the house at its purchase price and recommends the house as security for the mortgage.

I've heard from family that other houses on the next estate have suffered from sulphate attack but ours was built 20-30 years later. I assume the surveyor is covering all possibilities. He noted that apart from the slightly uneven floor that there were no other signs of the problem.

Does anyone know how much damage would be obvious after 35 years since being built?

I deal with sulphate attack in properties from the 50's, 60, and early 70's and the time in which the problem shows itself can vary a great deal.

It all depends on seasonal ground moisture levels, so even from a 50's property, it may be OK one year, but the floor slab can crack and lift by 25mm the next.

Have you had a proper survey or just a valuation? By the looks of things you have had a valuation, and as such even a ripple in the kitchen lino or wallpaper will cause the valuer to make some sort of comment to cover himself.

If he has recomended it for security of the mortgage, then that is fine. But that is not a comment on the condition, just on the value. However, that does not mean that you won't have to spend up to £20k on having the floors done, and have to move out for up to one month.

If it is in a known area where properties have suffered sulphate attack, then it is in your own intrests to do the necessary checks to ensure yours will not be affected, or reduce the offer accordinging.

BTW, there are other reasons for an uneven floor - that is if it really is uneven or just the way the laminate has been fitted.

Sponsored Links
We have had a homebuyers survey - not much more than a valuation but at least it is a little more detailed.

The survey says that that the kitchen floor, which is also laminate, "feels level underfoot". What is the likelihood of the the living room only being affected in your experience?

Noticing your from Birmingham as well - do you have any experience of the Great Barr/Hampstead area with regards to this problem?

If the property does suffer form sulphate attack, then it will be the whole floor which is at risk - even if the problem is only seen in one room.

I don't recall surveying in those areas, but much of post war Birmingham was built/rebuilt at the same time by the same local companies, and used the same ash from local power stations. When considering the possibility of sulphate attack, the estate is considered as a whole, not individual properties.

I know its a bit vague and there are lots of unknowns, but very roughly how much would this problem cost to fix. You mentioned upwards of 20k Its a 3 bed semi with an integral garage. Just after a very rough indication so I can put some sums together in my head!

Up to 20k depending on ground conditions and extent. But average of about 10k

Also between 3-5k in professional fees/testing/management etc. And allow for replacement kitchen units and internal skirtings and decorations etc.

Its not cheap

Does anyone have any clue (or experience) as to how much a sulphate test? Also how long will the results take to get?

Just had solicitor confirm that the house was built in 1973. Would this make it any less likely that the problem was red ash/sulphate attack?

1973 is getting into the low/no risk years.

What you need to do is get whoever did the survey to advise you, and clarify any issues in relation to possible risks of sulphate levels in the gound fill, to this and other properties in the locality.

You don't don't want any woolly, non-commital answers - just ask the risk/likelyhood, or ask how many properites (which they have surveyed) are they aware of as having problems with sulphates in this area.

As a buyer, you are unlikely to be allowed to arrange a test, as it involves drilling the ground floor. If it is a sale clincher, then the seller may be prepared to organise it, and you could offer to pay - or they could just pull out and put it back on the market. You may have to pay a couple of hundred for the test, and if you need the results interpreted, probably another hundred for an engineers comment

You may be worrying over nothing, over a throw-away comment by the surveyor. Ask him to clarify.

Spoke to a surveyor this afternoon. Not original one due to sickness but same firm. Reassured that properties in area mainly probletical from 50's and early 60's - "wouldn't touch a property from then with a barge pole"!. Seemed very confident that a property of that age should have a 'good', working dpm. Based on the information available it seems very positive and probably going ahead with purchase. Thanks for your thoughts.

Spoke to a surveyor this afternoon. Not original one due to sickness but same firm. Reassured that properties in area mainly problematical from 50's and early 60's - "wouldn't touch a property from then with a barge pole"!. Seemed very confident that a property of that age should have a 'good', working dpm. Based on the information available it seems very positive and probably going ahead with purchase. Thanks for your thoughts.

it will cost you £550 to have the floors tested they will take 3 samples may only take 1 the holes are the size of a dinner plate they will fill the holes back up and they will look like they have never done them as i had to have mine done yes it is a dusty job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back