Sulphuric acid dangers in the shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Due to a shower plughole being blocked, a workman came round and poured ninety something percent sulphuric acid down the plughole. Because it was a workman, I assume it'll be industrial type acid. He poured it in, said he'll wait about five minutes to let it jellify and then pour water down the hole and give it a pump. I didn't see myself if he actually poured any water or gave it a pump. The only advice he gave was that it would smell for an hour and to open the bathroom window.

My questions are

1) Is it safe to take a shower? Even when our shower is clear, the water does not always go instantly down the drain. It sometimes gathers a little before going down. Won't any of the sulphuric acid be present in this water?

2) I understand the dangers of coming into contact with the acid, but what about the strong smell? Is this harmful? Can eyes (or anything else) be damaged just by the 'smell' that's in the air?

I am really worried and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would give the bath/basin tray a swill off, before attempting shower.
I would be surprised if using this stuff, is actually permitted by water regulations.

Thanks PrenticeBoyofDerry.

I have left the shower running on cold for about ten minutes now. The water seems to be draining well.

All sorts of windows and doors have been left open and the smell has reduced but even after over an hour, can clearly still be smelled everywhere in the house! The liquid was dark pink in a white plastic bottle.

I don't think we'll be having this method used again!

Sponsored Links
If it really was sulphuric acid, you could always put a couple of tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda in a big glassful of warm water, stir and pour this down the shower. Wait a couple of minutes and flush it again. This should neutralise any acid still in the system. Bicarb is pretty weak stuff and shouldn't harm you. Sulphuric acid is jolly nasty as it gets stronger and nastier if it's left... I tend to use hydrochloric acid (brick cleaner) as it evaporates when left and is easy to wash away.

DON'T BE TEMPTED TO USE BLEACH, or any other cleaner, until after your first shower.

All the bloke has done is pour a proprietary drain cleaning solution down the plug hole for heavens sake!

Just run the shower for a while and get on with your life.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

The acid must've gotten rid of everything in its way because the water drained quite well afterwards. Will bear in mind the alternatives advised here for the next time it is required. The smell is still lingering around the house and it's been well over 24 hours! I haven't guessed, it really was sulphuric acid because he told me that it was and that it was over 90%.

Unfortunately, I'm not one that 'noseall', and it was quite worrying reading the hazards of this liquid on the net. I think I was rightly worried of the possibility of it coming into direct skin contact as well as the unbearable smell/fumes.

Thanks.

The alternative mentioned here, caustic soda is totally unsuitable for clearing waste pipes it would block them and is only used to clear grease from drains as it creates a lot of heat.
There is no problem with acid unless it's splashed around or gets on stainless steel fittings.
So quite safe if used properly.

Cup of bicarb and half a cup of vinegar dropped down t'hole every 3 - 4 weeks here. Put plug in and block overflow. Disappear for an hour or two.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

The acid must've gotten rid of everything in its way because the water drained quite well afterwards. Will bear in mind the alternatives advised here for the next time it is required. The smell is still lingering around the house and it's been well over 24 hours! I haven't guessed, it really was sulphuric acid because he told me that it was and that it was over 90%.

The stuff does stink, but the smell isn't harmful and it will go.

Plenty of water down the drain will wash away any residue and the smell will go of its own accord in time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back