Summer House Extension

If you’ve no windows/door openings at the back then you can get away with a stub stack
Unfortunately he wants one just above the sink.

You show a “Y” connector for the new 45 degree connection into the existing inspection hatch, what’s the purpose of the other drain leg which seems to terminate under the edge of the washbasin?
To be honest I don't know, in fact I think/hope it's not in use. I've poked it with a stick and it's just mud. But it does have a run of pipe going to it(couldn't get the stick in that far though) - why would someone do that if it's unused? The land also slopes downwards from the edge of the property in that direction.

View media item 20830
Keep pipe runs as straight as possible; you are allowed one change in direction up to 45 degree, go greater than that or introduce another bend & you will need rodding access from the other end. I’m not sure why you’ve introduced that 45 degree bend at the bottom of the rest bend but I would loose it if possible.
Gotcha ;) . Can't see how I can go any straighter than this, without a new inspection chamber.

View media item 20829

Sponsored Links
To be honest I don't know, in fact I think/hope it's not in use. I've poked it with a stick and it's just mud. But it does have a run of pipe going to it(couldn't get the stick in that far though) - why would someone do that if it's unused? The land also slopes downwards from the edge of the property in that direction.
It could be a redundant drain from another property, old outside loo or provision for future connection that never took place; modern plastic access chambers have multiple access points cast in, the ones not in use being fitted with blanking plugs. I assume it’s mud & not ???? but it looks pretty wet for a blind drain run that’s not in use Are you sure it’s not a surface water connection from the house guttering into the foul drain (once common but no longer permitted) which has just become badly silted, hence the very wet appearance. If you can definitely establish it’s not in use, I would blank it off.
Can't see how I can go any straighter than this, without a new inspection chamber.
Much better. ;)

It could be a redundant drain from another property, old outside loo or provision for future connection that never took place
That's what I always thought it was for, but there's been no other buiding work on site (house is 1971). The summer house used to be two sheds, knocked into one, and I expect is as old as the south extension to the property (1980-ish) from where the electricity used to be fed from.

I assume it’s mud & not ???? but it looks pretty wet for a blind drain run that’s not in use.
Pretty sure it's not raw sewage. I think it must backfill with water when the flowrate is large - hence the toilet paper in the picture.

Are you sure it’s not a surface water connection from the house guttering into the foul drain (once common but no longer permitted) which has just become badly silted, hence the very wet appearance.
The house is 50 meters away, though it could be for the summer house guttering as there's a drain there, but I've been told that's a separate soakaway running under the patio.

The house used to be the last on the street, and the road slopes quite sharply down a hill after that into the new development. In fact, that end of the garden has a retaining wall separating it from our southern neighbours.

View media item 20858
The building at the south-eastern point is a workshop/shed, put up about 5 years ago.

If you can definitely establish it’s not in use, I would blank it off.
In which case I'll do just that. :)

Much better. ;)
Yay! :D

The photo certainly makes a lot more sense of it; only suggestion I can think of is that may have been originally provided to take the surface water from the summer house but the water authority would not allow the connection so a soak away was put in instead, if indeed there is one & it's just a convenient porky! I am unsure when water authorities actually stopped allowing surface water connections to the foul drain system.

Sponsored Links
Hello again!

Right, I've asked the planning people and we don't need planning permission.

I've asked building control and they've said we don't need anything other than Part P :eek: ! I then asked again, about the sewers, and again, no requirement.

I then asked for confirmation in writing, having sent him the plans I posted here. Here's what he said:

With reference to the above [development], I can confirm that small detached single storey buildings that are that has no point of less than 1m from the boundary or constructed with non combustible materials E.g brick/blockwork walls with tiled roof construction are exempt from the requirements of the building regulations, subject to the internal floor area being less than 30m² which contains no sleeping accommodation.
Oh well, what can I do eh?! :rolleyes:

The windows have been moved to the side walls of the extension (that's two in total). Does this now mean we can use a stub stack?
I've asked building control and they've said we don't need anything other than Part P :eek: ! I then asked again, about the sewers, and again, no requirement.

I then asked for confirmation in writing, having sent him the plans I posted here. Here's what he said:
With reference to the above [development], I can confirm that small detached single storey buildings that are that has no point of less than 1m from the boundary or constructed with non combustible materials E.g brick/blockwork walls with tiled roof construction are exempt from the requirements of the building regulations, subject to the internal floor area being less than 30m² which contains no sleeping accommodation.
I read that to be an invitation to do more or less do whatever you want. :LOL:

I read that to be an invitation to do more or less do whatever you want. :LOL:

Indeed! The "mud" was just as you had horrifically predicted, but at least it was an east 110mm fibreglass chamber in the end, and after I chipped the concrete away and pulled the cap off I was ready to add the new connection. The brick build on top must have been just for building it up to the right level at a later date.

Build took about 3 months in total.

I've posted some pictures in building, but no harm to repeat them here.

View media item 23647 View media item 23646 View media item 31964 View media item 31961 View media item 31962 View media item 31963

Always nice to get feed back, thanks; & that looks a superb job, well done M8.

Even looks good enough to live in ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back