Summerhouse - allowing for future replacement floor sheets?

lct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question is about how to lay the floor sheets of a timber summerhouse I am starting to design and whether to 'trap' them below the stud walls.

One thing I don't like with all the designs I see is that the perimeter stud walls are built on top of the floor sheet. In my mind I prefer the future option of being able to remove the complete floor sheets to allow inspection of the insulation and ground below. Plus it helps if I can get the walls and roof up as soon as possible and then fall back on the insulation - could even use some temporary floor sheets during the build where I am sure they will get wet and swap them out at the end.

The disadvantages of the 'internal floor sheets':
  • It's probably easy to end up with some gaps between edge of floor sheet and wall.
  • The perimeter of the floor is not supported - at least not with 2"x4" stud walls sitting on doubled up 2"x5" perimeter beams. I would either have to add a third perimeter beam on all sides (cost), or nail in some CLS all around between the joists, which is a lot of short pieces.
  • Harder to drop in solid insulation if using the nailed on edge support.
Sketch below shows what I am thinking. One on the right is the 'traditional' design i see everywhere. On the left is what I am considering. Please tell me why I am wrong and why I should stick with the traditional - I am pretty sure it will be the easiest build.
  • upload_2020-12-28_18-47-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-28_18-47-11.jpeg
    upload_2020-12-28_18-47-11.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 130
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back