Sun Room Roof Guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Recently purchased and moved into a late 80s house with a 'Sun Room` extension.

During the bad weather I noticed rain water was running down the sliding doors, seemingly on the inside of the guttering. More recently the white metal facia blew off and I can see more clearly the obvious gap between the end of the polycarb sheets and the guttering.

It looks like the polycarb panels do not extend far enough down to the end of the rails and as a result water is not running into the guttering.

2023-01-04 11.16.44.jpg

With the metal face plate put back the gap is clear.
2023-01-04 11.17.16.jpg

Im guessing the roof has not slid back, they are quite secure, and all are in alignment, but it looks like something is missing.

I will replace the breather tape and clean out (as best I can the channels), but any advice on what this is supposed to look like would be greatly appreciated.

Can take more photos as requested

Many Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I might be tempted to cut 20mm? off the ends of all the bars, that way the poly sheets would meet the trim that blew off better, you could then apply flashband to seal the gap. Which would hold the end trim on help the water into the gutter.

@catlad

Thanks for coming back to me. I was thinking the same. I just couldn't believe it would have been installed like this, it really looks like there should be something there!

Cutting and flashband seems like a good solution. I'v not used it but will it be ok sealing the polycarb to the trim? Will the water not get under eventually?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Flashband is an aluminium tape laminated with tar/ bitumen. It will stick to plastic very well if everything is clean and dry first. You will need to use a heat gun, or a hair dryer might work. Better to wait till the weather warms up first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back