Sunak's half hour grilling by Nick Robinson

Extremes of any persuasion are worrying.
:mrgreen: I didn't say that I saw them as extreme. Some do but this still leaves the question of what some people fear they will do? There must be something or the other but just what is it?

Sponsored Links
They have a habit of introducing policies that make the UK less attractive for overseas investment and highly skilled jobs.
They also believe that the 10% who pay 50% of the taxes should pay more and that they are to be hated.
They like to expand the role of the state making the UK less competitive.

If you replace the words "my government will" with the "tax payer will" in most of their policies - they don't sound too exciting for hardworking tax payers.

These are just my opinions however.

Tax - the 50p rate caused a lot of off-shoring and the increase in corporation tax will take us back to the days of having overseas "royalty" payments.

A lot of people in my industry base themselves in Dubai for example.

Sponsored Links
They also believe that the 10% who pay 50% of the taxes should pay more and that they are to be hated.

If the chart part way down that page gets more granular things get to look a little different due to shear numbers of people in the groups.
A lot of people in my industry base themselves in Dubai for example.
This page gives UK median and average pay levels. Shear numbers influence what proportion various groups pay.

It doesn't much matter what tax rates are. If they can be avoided they will be.

We had several years of lower corporation tax and it didn't achieve anything. You might like to look at rates in countries where more money is invested.

20%
The corporate income tax (CIT) rate in Taiwan is 20%.27 Jun 2022

Taiwan - Corporate - Taxes on corporate income

South Korea Corporate Tax Rate - 2022 Data - 2023 Forecast

Corporate Tax Rate in South Korea remained unchanged at 25 percent in 2021 from 25 percent in 2020. Corporate Tax Rate in South Korea averaged 29.08 percent ...

Then you need to ask yourself why this is. You might also like to consider Scandinavian countries. They tend to take tax differently as does Germany I believe. Truss may be thinking in that direction but if the basic problems can't be solved no one will invest Sunak has a different idea. To work it would need to offset risk - a big ask.

You might also like to think about changes in the UK in these areas over say 30 years and why they have happened.

They like to expand the role of the state making the UK less competitive.
So chuck away the NHS? Probably messed up anyway like 20+ companies paying train drivers and a similar stupid situation with all utilities. That area does attract overseas investment here. I wonder why?

Tax 20p in the £. Really with vat, tax for this tax for that and council tax. Dream on tax currently being higher than it ever has been. Take a look at the BofE recent report and notice the change in work demographics. Fact is tax has never ever bean just 20p in the £..

The state has been cut back - great. Why do all of the reports about it not working as it should keep cropping up.

Well you and similar voted for it so live with it and probably watch it getting worse.

Way too long for people to watch but some factual information about Parliament.

My view on this particular area is why does the US have Blinken and we have Truss. As Rory mentions she is just an MP.. Blinken is something else.

Maybe a true presidential system does allow scope for some technocrats that really do understand what they are talking about rather than our style talking heads. Generally the only senior politician in the UK who is likely to have meaningful qualifications in the area they cover is the Chancellor.

Loved the look on Stewart's face when the interviewer mentioned Brad Pitt had bought the film rights to his life.

Blup

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back