Sundials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've always wondered about sundials...

Are they always in GMT or do they adjust themselves to BST? Are they affected by the tilt of the earth?

Sponsored Links
yes, no, yes. You adjust them yourself. Or you may as well leave them at summer time as that's when you're most likely to use them.

European ones can't work in Australia as the sun "goes backwards"

Sponsored Links
i used to wind mine up every day, i stood next to it and shouted "if you even think of not working i am going to change you to a digital fountain!"

what :eek: , never seen a digital clock fountain? click me

RF Lighting said:
Did you remember to wind it up every morning?
Yep I stood next to it and called it names but it did no good :cry:
addendum:
:LOL: breezer didn't scroll down enough to see your post before posting my reply :)

BoxBasher said:
I've always wondered about sundials...

Are they always in GMT or do they adjust themselves to BST? Are they affected by the tilt of the earth?

They are always SUN time which differs from GMT by one hour for every 15 degrees of longitude away from Greenwich.

They do not need to self adjust for summer time as there is in-sufficient sun for them to work in the UK summer.

If you rotate them a bit, you can make them show Summer time, or Mid-Atlantis, or Central Europe time, or set them to any time zone you want ;)

BoxBasher

*I've always wondered about sundials...*

I always thought they were the work of Satan myself but I wont mention this ... lol

WoodYouLike said:
Mine just had a sun-stroke, so I bought a parasol for it.

That reminds me - looking at sofa's over the weekend: I didn't like a particular shade of leather because it was too dark. Guy in shop said "take this sample out to the light, you'll see it is actually much lighter when you get it outside"

My reply had to be quite simply "thanks, but it's not going outside, it's going in my living room". Smarmy little get left us alone then, you could see his manager and co-workers grinning as soon as I'd said it.

Somebody should start an "off on a tangent" thread, that way it would never drift "off topic" because there wasn't one in the first place...

one thing i dont get. i was always under the impression that the sun was at its highest at midday. When we fiddle around with bst etc does that mean the sun is higher at another time?

Sponsored Links
Back