Sunflowers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are these just grown from sunflower seeds that you can buy in the supermarket?

Sponsored Links
Could do, I know someone who grew chick peas from the supermarket, baked beans don't seem to work though.

oilman said:
Could do, I know someone who grew chick peas from the supermarket, baked beans don't seem to work though.

The sauce keeps getting washed off every time it rains, makes a right mess on the lawn :LOL:

Hightowermark said:

Yep, and then when they have grown, take the seeds out of them and keep them for next year!

Sponsored Links
Ours is a 9-footer this year :D :D

Try sprinkling bird-food about too - You could get allsorts springing up (assuming the birds don't eat it first, of course).

You don`t get canabee raisin from birdseed anymore :(

Nige F said:
You don`t get canabee raisin from birdseed anymore :(

Oh yes you do, even though it is sterilised, not all of it get's killed. It's not really a potent type though, but it does grow.

Hightowermark said:

Note however, that some of the biggest, boldest and brashest are F1 hybrids, and therefore will either be sterile or will revert to their parent seed, i.e. not "come true"

Got a deisel engine?
Get a plot of land and grow sunflowers then crush the seeds for the sunflower oil.
30 years ago I lived in South Africa where there were thousands of acres full of sunflowers for the seeds and oil for cooking and spreads.
Those farmers kept 10% of the oil produced to run all their deisel machinery for the year saving them a fortune in fuel costs.

No tax on sunflowers unless too many do it and the government steps in.
Someone used to fit something to petrol cars to use chicken muck as fuel so you just switched over to petrol when you needed to.
The government were seriously considering taxing s**t if too many used it as fuel and lost them taxes. :LOL:

Dewy said:
No tax on sunflowers unless too many do it and the government steps in.

no. you have to pay 27.1p/litre for alternative fuels, inc cooking oils

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back