sunken spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am currently having a single storey kitchen extension done. while the inspectors were round to check the progress so far he mentioned that if we were having sunken spots in the ceiling (which we were hoping for) we could not cut into the insulation, basically saying we could not have sunken spotlights. is there a way around this?

Sponsored Links
Not to have sunken spotlights, the obvious answer.

Of course, there are alternative technologies to halogen which can be fitted in insulation.

See here.

would fire hoods solve the problem?
i am trying to seek advice from the building inspector but he's obivously hard to get hold of!
we may have to go for ceiling mounted lights but would ideally like sunken spots.

No, the issue you are having is the building inspector isn't happy about the gaps in the insulation which the lights are going to cause, this is a non compliance with part L (energy conservation), you can't not leave the holes becuase the fixtures will overheat, the only way you cough possibly get around it, is to seek the clearances needed around the fitting from the company that made them, construct a plasterboard box to those dimensions or bigger and roll the insulation over the top of that.

Firehoods are neither thermal insulation or a way of stopping hot lights setting fire to stuff, they are simply for maintaining the resistance to fire a ceiling has when you cut a hole in it, basically its whats known as an intumescent firebarrier, like the strips you get in fire doors, and in a fire it'll swell up and form a barrier!

Sponsored Links
i am trying to seek advice from the building inspector but he's obivously hard to get hold of!
we may have to go for ceiling mounted lights but would ideally like sunken spots.
Did you click my link and read the contents?

missed the link. but just read it. thanks. good info. we have an electrician coming round tomorrow so i'll ask his opinion as well i just wanted to get some kind of idea myself first, i now have some good questions and suggestions if he dosent suggest them first . thanks for the help! i'll post the outcome.

Why not go for good quality under cupboard lighting - and a simple ceiling light set up

Lets face it spots in ceiling cast all sorts of shadows over work tops.

I have seen LV lights from either TLC or QVS that are acoustic compliant to Part B&E of building regs. These will be economical than buying separate hoods. Also read an article from an academic institution recommending this solution. Consider, TLC type FR or QVC type DLFR series at approx £7 each less volume discount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back