SUNVIC white box is making a noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This SUNVIC white box is making a noise - I don't know what it is :)

Please can you tell me what it is and if I can replace it myself or if I should get a plumber to replace it?

Video https://photos.app.goo.gl/5tsGCCKGkXKoTTu26

1PBdtuMyetQnmDV8nuoUzsib_-Y1GQk6nliD2qRNxcTYsDv64kIlGBGEIthwEmUC2H0heuOsfq1Eq9LQegZcNtRzRwD9aA5701cA8rhDli7p8U6U0vbXxliQeBIbrjo5pnuwVbINEEjHIWCzC7w870t7azswkeAIOWeGhhLwOVNqzNHABA5TiYhQGOlBk8fk8sjttycKF72wk0Tys5HlQYMrk-CWryW4clE_hClZbtn4HLFtSNLzsIpPS5rjf8Bcx6e3YUuKvHVtKil9znlz8xJ6WiC1QL5-BQvpCueZiVh_4AKYSHqpLHe0PB0s1Mc2nv8vnt5NesCBXGkI6Iy7w2fPxE_5VCQRR67GhI2y0RPU7JFpR5zfTLJ9izgPQCmKi4jiP7U0tGIQU_QCuTUM0F1_5KoPPKfkRFs_VVEB9fNkqNV0X53sphkVp5DO78u5JBqtDSe0JbBZGlnblcTtd5ZXEoJ_0zhqMtbp8U6RGJfcOvMorVE0qvwlysQ_owuQinpHH3VJt-tPV6211W_1GFb_-2GGOHKENjDiKQXWKuwHFeF58gbsE0f9DK-TbS4IbXdu57LMcUujtMOLzr3adJhWQBK0Gkrfnpzmk2VS1EB-0Wi5dH3y5s6_yYxnCyOGdvgJtdxT7NK18crDUyQu1--lMkg2xkQ67xrJhuS5X-oiiqZm3ctrxzjA0LT39w=w3240-h1576-no

Wynz3NnzSdZJrlW4h92wIqM7AWT5Howas1PodTV6WxLJj8oj2tq-ChsIW_9ZOp-phBTouIcgc3fY3j9jlNGANRNZ41akExQIwubB8_NQ-NhIy6JZLuWApFFFutxGflo8_Lq0sBjqw3rcGbdwqY361Rg1yiABhkSGyiI9bkTZyL3r_p08tzwnOL9QMWE3-rTmTdtZK4g-qf9mfu73zEbfLbmlnLtTgazQbSX1e6XcdaIM_EqWt2bugp8DibaU8QbX9UqK4pnpvjqEoXlDwZDp_gp0Q64uuvj5j2YjoAhLmko2qddDF-k3VbWNEjbv6tjzVG6s_Qm2nlwYdNH2nYiRDRGx8vzhSv3sn2rmpKa_Y4OJysey75VNfyYzBcQ-h2hEQnIvYyB33cgKVtjru8hgvL5tipJXXyzQbo-LZCxtL1RAlDIGbvWyCMdXNqPaar-U28HF5Ll_pq1yF4ziZgWRsDtblod16pvXa0Xnw01QcLdRjLnBycZHNdMwILpGyQuKUGAnyxxAbR6HwvXeSY9WDQk0SrEnjS-VOnVUUWh_Kx71R_1PDYg-qTXPQNOe-InV8AYpq4nFwS3_7td9YJ9sQm-z0oADlujNhOdtu7_ZhjPe3fAtJFBw0kx73KCzLVlqpg_INDEMhbEaedDwuxR5C_9dQPGU-d9y-AUGdJgwnU5KBY708aGlsuMwIGZLHw=w3240-h1576-no

Thanks.

*edit SUNVIO/SUNVIC

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can replace the head part yourself. Is the red wheel moving? It will move very slowly.

It should move, if there is a change in demand from central heating to hot water or HW to CH. Once in position, it should stop its movement.

It's a Sunvic not Sunvio.

I ran a hot tap for a few minutes and the red wheel didn't move.

I forgot to say that I have recently had issues with the hot water not getting hot, unless I also have the heating on - could this be the cause?

What do I need to buy as a replacement?

Running the hot tap will not necessarily cause it to move. The only thing which will cause the red wheel to change position is a change in demand for heat from the cylinder, when there has been no demand before it. It allows hot water from the boiler, to be diverted through the cylinder. That assumes HW is enabled by the clock or timer.

Idea is it open the valve it controls, or closes it. It will only move when a change in position is needed - when not needed to move, it should be silent. Is it constantly making a noise? If it is, it suggests the position should be changing, but isn't.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, very helpful :)

From reading/watching
and http://www.seered.co.uk/sunvic.htm, plus the noise it's making, I think it's a mechanical issue, not an electrical issue, so I'll get a replacement and fit it myself as you suggested.

I could get a replacement Sunvic Actuator SZM 1801 but I'll get the Sunvic 2 Port EcoSmart Valve version, as the website says it should pay for itself during its lifetime. I haven't been able to find any online yet, so I might need to e-mail Sunvic to ask where I can buy one!

If you just want to change the actuator, then you need to go like for like. Changing to Honeywell will need a drain down as you need to change the valve. The Eco smart unit may use the same valve body, but will need significant wiring changes.
If you think it is just the motor failed, then change just that in the Sunvic unit. It is a standard Synchron unit, but use a genuine Synchron rather than a cheap look a like.

Only like for like actuators will work with the valve, they are a pair. The only way to swap make/models, is to swap actuator and the valve as a pair.

Looking at your photos, I see some evidence of what might be rust at the base of the actuator. Might it have suffered from water? Those actuator models are very reliable, but water can kill them quite easily. If the valve is leaking, that would explain it, so worth swapping as a pair.

Plenty of Sunvic SZM 1801 heads on ebay...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=szm+1801&_sacat=0

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Replace the whole head - I think the motor is different to the usual one anyway, so a new motor might not help.

But before doing that, you need to know why the original one failed. Is that rust on the baseplate, what has caused it, is the valve spindle leaking?

If leaking you need to replace both head and valve, or the new head will fail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back