Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

About to start a detached Victorian 3 bed renovation, as usual solid brick walls so no cavity to insulate.
It has been a while since I've done some internal wall insulation, previously I've always used PIR on treated battens.

I've spoken with Superfoil and they tell me their SF19+ product could achieve a U-value of 0.36 on the solid walls as long as it is sandwiched between 2 sets of battens. Apparently it expands to 45mm, in the cavities, but in total would only take approx 70mm off an internal wall once plastered.

The equivalent PIR buildup would achieve a U-value of 0.51 if finished at 70mm or 90mm to achieve the same 0.36.

Has anyone had any experience with Superfoil or other multifoils? Are there any tests to evidence achieving the claimed U-values?

Any advice or experience shared would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
TeamRocket

Sponsored Links
I've been to many presentations over the years from those pushing foil insulation, but the facts don't stack up.

The required detailing in practice (difficult), the fact that it needs air gaps to perform (draughts), the fact that it needs to be expanded and yet is compressed in many places (uneven), and the lack of like for like testing and installation comparisons with other products, make it an unconvincing product.

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

About to start a detached Victorian 3 bed renovation, as usual solid brick walls so no cavity to insulate.
It has been a while since I've done some internal wall insulation, previously I've always used PIR on treated battens.

I've spoken with Superfoil and they tell me their SF19+ product could achieve a U-value of 0.36 on the solid walls as long as it is sandwiched between 2 sets of battens. Apparently it expands to 45mm, in the cavities, but in total would only take approx 70mm off an internal wall once plastered.

The equivalent PIR buildup would achieve a U-value of 0.51 if finished at 70mm or 90mm to achieve the same 0.36.

Has anyone had any experience with Superfoil or other multifoils? Are there any tests to evidence achieving the claimed U-values?

Any advice or experience shared would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
TeamRocket
The fuss and the hoop-jump-through and the fact that BCO's are clued up to the rubbish means that in spite of multifoil claims, rarely does the stuff live up to expectations. It's usually fitted in conjunction with Celotex type insulation in any case.

Load of over-hyped tat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back