Supermarket Rot In your Area

Personally I like Tescos and Sainsburys, it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose.
John Lewis laughing at you keeping him wealthy in Monty Carlo with his old crownies.

Anyway enjoy your horsemeat; Also enjoy your Chicken Feather Bread. That's what they use to make bread fluffy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/2007/01/does_your_daily_bread_contain_human_hair.html

Tesco apologises for selling burgers that should have been withdrawn after horse meat scandal as upmarket Waitrose clears shelves admitting it uses factory at centre of scare.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lves-admitting-uses-factory-centre-scare.html

Sponsored Links
One of the big supermarkets employs over half my family. They are a huge source of employment in our area.

One of the big supermarkets employs over half my family. They are a huge source of employment in our area.
That's great for your family.

What High standards they have achieved to work at such a place. Are there any other shops to work for? Prob not.

Just think soon they can plug in a Solar PV Panel to your roof.

http://www.tescohomeefficiency.com/renewable-energy/

Prob your food work for food reward...no where else to shop. There wage ploughed back into the greedy ones.

Sponsored Links
Yeah it is great for them. I bet there's not much work for a solicitor at my local butchers shop :rolleyes:

For years I've seen the writing on the wall as Tesco & Co have got more and more powerful.
The British public have been drawn to the supermarkets by the free parking in particular...and of course 'bargain' prices.
Many a time I've been told...'If the public didn't want it they wouldn't shop there'...which is true,but at what cost?

As a market trader I've seen the footfall on the high street getting less and less over the last 20 years.Shops closing and the slow death of the high street,not just the food stores but local cafes,pubs,and of course markets.

It's reached a point now where there is no going back.The greed of the big boys has whittled away at the livings of tens of thousands of smaller traders.And the hundreds of thousands of jobs they provided.
At one time they just sold food...then toiletries...then everything under the sun,even funerals.

All these closed small traders now have no need for plumbers ,sparkies, chippies,and all the other trades from window cleaners to signwriters.

Smaller traders fought back with their home deliveries and personal service...so of course the big boys brought in home deliveries.
£1 stalls were a market idea...they soon latched on to that.Close dated goods were the bread and butter of the market trader...they latched onto that too.Making it impossible for the little man to buy any stock.

This is the retail side but what about manufacturing? In the supermarket wars to steal each others business they set about spending billions in the Far East to bring costs down...and of course the British people went along with it...who wouldn't?...
Cheaper white goods,sofas, and the rest...great! But at what cost to manufacturing industry in the UK? And once again no trade for all the services that these home manufacturers used year in year out.

They have a stranglehold now and there's nothing short of a war that will alter it.

As a market trader I've seen the footfall on the high street getting less and less over the last 20 years.Shops closing and the slow death of the high street,not just the food stores but local cafes,pubs,and of course markets.

Blame the councils as much as the supermarkets.

Councils have used town centre parking as a revenue generator, whilst simultaneously making it difficult and inconvenient (Parking is never near the shops, time restricted), some go as far to actively dissuade people from driving into the town centre and try and "encourage" people to use park and ride services.

Same as when they made it so new builds could only have 1 parking space, causing all the side roads to be double parked as people stubbornly refused to ditch their second cars, how very dare they!

Councils need to start tailoring services to meet and encourage demand, not restrict services to stop what they think is "bad behaviour".

Councils have used town centre parking as a revenue generator, whilst simultaneously making it difficult and inconvenient (Parking is never near the shops, time restricted), some go as far to actively dissuade people from driving into the town centre and try and "encourage" people to use park and ride services.

Same as when they made it so new builds could only have 1 parking space, causing all the side roads to be double parked as people stubbornly refused to ditch their second cars, how very dare they!

Councils need to start tailoring services to meet and encourage demand, not restrict services to stop what they think is "bad behaviour".

I'm with you on this one, but i would like to add the regulations that stipulate that developers must allocate X amount of new builds as "affordable homes" for housing associations to let.

Hence you have a nice new estate where people have paid good money for investment and next door is let out to all and sundry (riff raff) (the dross) (the dregs of humanity) with their cars jacked up on bricks till they rot away.

Do people actually shop in tescoes?
Sadly I do almost all my shopping in Tescos.
- I work 8.30 till 5 or so Mon-Friday and am then usally away over the weekend. Smallish town with only one supermarket, local butchers/etc dont have late opening, so other than the local Spar its the only shop I can really get to.

Daniel

Tesco Centrica and the Coffee Shops - they are the New Order - the 1000 year Reightch :mrgreen: . As to the High streets - look @ how many small shops are actually converted houses :idea: Re instate them as houses and put the Social Tenants in them - I`m a Social engineer. me ;)

Do people actually shop in tescoes?
Sadly I do almost all my shopping in Tescos.
- I work 8.30 till 5 or so Mon-Friday and am then usally away over the weekend. Smallish town with only one supermarket, local butchers/etc dont have late opening, so other than the local Spar its the only shop I can really get to.

Daniel

Sorry mate, but if you can't spend half your weekend doing the shopping, you should have your wife spend her days trudging from shop to shop, otherwise all these local shops will disappear.

AronSearle";p="2659199 said:
Sorry mate, but if you can't spend half your weekend doing the shopping, you should have your wife spend her days trudging from shop to shop, otherwise all these local shops will disappear.
Well thats a bit of an issue because im not married yet.

Very true. All the councils where I have lived seem to like buses and want everyone to use them. They hate cars and car drivers, presumably because they don't think anyone (except for themselves, of course) should have them.

That is the real reason for town centre shops closing down. If the councils provided adequate free parking, just as the supermarkets do, and didn't sting the shopkeepers with extortionate council tax, town centres could flourish once again.

Yes, I shop at the supermarket for the reasons given, but I also like looking in individual independent shops where there are some interesting things that the supermarkets haven't got their hands on yet.

Councils are always crying poverty, yet they still seem to find enough money to waste on meetings with banquets and booze for themselves. Our local council spent hundreds of thousands in changing a road junction a couple of years ago. It is just as congested as before. All it needed was right filters on the traffic lights which would have cost a small fraction of what they did pay.

Greed and waste. That's what councils are good at.

Sponsored Links
Back