1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Supermatt paint with Vinyl Silk finish, is it possible

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by happyhero, 9 Mar 2016.

1. happyhero

happyhero

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi I am going to be decorate my lounge soon after a major alteration and it is all going to get plastered with a skim coat mostly although some areas will have to have a under layer of something to, bonding or whatever.

We have used a B&Q Vinyl Silk for donkeys years, using the same colour throughout the house because we were happy with it. We have been happy with it but it did sometimes take too many coats and does seem to go dark at ceiling level over radiators for some reason so it would be nice to resolve those problems. We were going to use it in the lounge but our builder has recommended something called Supermatt which he says can go on new plaster and that has got me Googling.

Don’t know how I have never heard of it as everyone is going on about how good it is. Now I am keen to use it but does this mean we have to live with a matt finish or can we paint my wife’s favourite Vinyl Silk over the top or does that defeat the object?

I mean what if we would like the same colour as everywhere else in the house, could we have that in the lounge even though we are using Supermatt and could we have it with a Vinyl Silk finish?

I can live with Matt, it’s just that we have got used to the idea of having a silk finish that seems to be easily wiped clean and not sure the wife will like a matt finish anyway.

Advice appreciated.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. misterhelpful

misterhelpful

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You will be fine applying vinyl silk over Supermatt, I've done it countless times. Basically, the Supermatt is a contract matt, which contains no vinyl, meaning it can be applied to walls that are still drying out (as with new plaster) without fear of it peeling or flaking off. That said, you should always allow plaster to dry as much as possible before using it.

Once the walls are fully dried out, which may be a few months if you are having render and skim coats applied, you can start using the vinyl silk. Contract matts are good for getting a finished looking surface on new walls, but are not durable, and certainly won't withstand washing or scrubbing.

Read more here: http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/mist-coat-or-pva-bare-surface-basics.425261/

4. Chud

Chud

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What he said ^^^

Use the Supermatt give it some time (a few months?) then paint over it in silk finish...if I were you though I'd ditch the B&Q and go for a trade vinyl silk - if you go to a decorators centre like the crown or dulux ones or go to brewers you ought to be able to find one you like. It'll outperform the B&Q rubbish by a mile - especially in how many coats you need to apply!

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local