supplemantary bonding, whose task

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a bathroom and new central heating put in as well as some wiring.
most of the pipe work is in plastic except for the copper to rads, sink etc
whose task is it to carry out supplementary bonding.
electrician says plumber should do it as he knows what is in plastic and what is in copper and should bond accordingly and vice versa.

thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like you've got a couple of lazy buggers working in your house

IMO the electrician ought to be making the connections to the light switch, shaver outlet, immersion heater and so on. He shouldn't be wanting the plumber to open up his switches. If he insists he doesn't want to connect to the pipes see if he will provide and connect the electrical circuits to an earth block (say, in the airing cupboard) and you can do the pipe clamps yourself if you want.

The correct answer is that the installation supplementary bonding requirements should be established primarily by testing and not by guessing what the pipes may or may not be made out of.

As such, a proper, genuine, bona fide electrician should test to see whether there are any extraneous-condutive parts that require supplementary bonding and then to install the required bonding correctly.

Unfortunately, ignorance prevails to the point that people guess and just put clamps here and there with some 4mm green/yellow cable and leave it at that.

Once the extraneous-conductive part are out of the way, the matter of electrical circuits canbe adddressed.

Sponsored Links
I always assumed it would the electricians job if it was needed so he can complete his certificates and sign the job off.

It's the electricians job.

It is an electrical regulation which requires it to be installed.

AFAIK, no plumbing regulations call for supplementary bonding in a bathroom ;)

Dave, traditionally I would have agreed.

Now, it depends on who has quoted for what.

If a Defined Scope person quotes for the whole bathroom, for example, then that includes the supplementary bonding. I would expect the client to assume it meant everything. If it doesn't, I would expect the tradesman to make it clear on his quote what isn't included, rather than just what is.

Defined Scope persons can not be allowed to cherry pick the bits that are easy, more profitable, less hassle, less responsible etc. and then say to the client - 'oh, you'll have to get a sparky in for the bonding love'.

Dave, traditionally I would have agreed.

Now, it depends on who has quoted for what.

If a Defined Scope person quotes for the whole bathroom, for example, then that includes the supplementary bonding. I would expect the client to assume it meant everything. If it doesn't, I would expect the tradesman to make it clear on his quote what isn't included, rather than just what is.

Defined Scope persons can not be allowed to cherry pick the bits that are easy, more profitable, less hassle, less responsible etc. and then say to the client - 'oh, you'll have to get a sparky in for the bonding love'.

Why would the plumber quote for EB :confused: As said above, it's an electrical regulation and it's a part of the electrical works in the Bathroom.

I assume by this you mean the likes of a bathroom fitter who has Part P?

If an electrician is on site for any part of a job then I always tell the customer to get him to sort out all electrical matters and point this out in my quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back