Supplementry Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a customer dosn't have supplementary bonding in bathroom, and has a tiled bathroom with laminate flooring so dosn't want walls or floor disturbing is it still ok to change CU to add RCD to S/Os n Shower?

Sponsored Links
Nope, it is part of a fundamental requirement of the IEE regs that before any alterations or additions are carried that the earthing and bonding arrangements are adequate. Maybe wait a few months as the supplementary bonding in bathrooms may be dropped in the 17th edition in favour of RCD protection of all circuits in the bathroom.

It doesn't have to be done in the location, is there an airing cupboard adjacent or something?

Sponsored Links
No airing cupboard, pipes come straight up wall from bath feed, its a combi boiler you see

I wouldn't. The only reg is the one on it being all equipment being suitable for its environment, taking into account humidity etc is a batten lampholder suitable?

Me, I'd be tempted to use either one of those globe enclosed ones or bathroom downlighters. (remember I'm a factory spark!!)

Lets just say I wouldn't put a batten lampholder up in a bathroom! That is my opinion, other people may have differing opinions on the matter.

Personally, I would only consider a batten if it was outside the zones, and even then I would much rather install some sort of IP rated fitting.

a bit of an aside but does the 17th edition stipulate that all circuits including the lighting circuit be RCD protected?

i thought that would mean either running an FCU from the bathroom circuit to control the lights or a separate radial from the RCD end of the CU to the lights which seems like a major ballache.

theres a lot of speculation/rumours/conjecture regarding the 17th edition but as it isn't in force yet we will have to wait and see,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back