Supply and Fault Questions (w. pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a few questions about the supply characteristics of a job I went out to last week, if anyone fancies commenting.

1. Does anybody know why a supply with a PME notice on it, appears to be fixed up as a TNS system?
tn_2007_113020113.jpg

and
tn_2007_113020114.jpg

2. There's two incomers. Will one be going to feed next door?

3. The tails are 16mm but the cut out fuse carrier says 100A. I'll try to check with the supply company tomorrow what the actual fuse rating is but if it is indeed 100A are the DNO obliged to come out and upgrade the tails?

For those interested, I was called out to a fault on the socket ring when the RCD wouldn't reset. I traced it back to this:

tn_2007_113020108.jpg

tn_2007_113020110.jpg

It was hidden behind a built in dish washer, with no way of isolating the washer in an emergency. There was no need for the socket at all as the washer's lead easily reached the double socket above the work surface, so I traced the spur back to this hidden JB (I'd no choice but to cut through kitchen unit to get to it)...
tn_2007_113020112.jpg

...which also had another spur running off it for the drier in the basement and got rid of the offending socket all together.

4. What certification would you record this work on? A MWC? Would you have two lots of test results - one before you rectified the fault and one after?

Cheers,
Ants

Sponsored Links
1. Does anybody know why a supply with a PME notice on it, appears to be fixed up as a TNS system?

Just because there is a separate earth block inside the property, there's nothing to say it isn't PME.
Maybe the DNO upgraded to PME outside but didn't bother to change all the cutout's.
Just a thought I may be wrong :D

Or it could be because of the MULTIPLE earth clamps :LOL:

2. There's two incomers. Will one be going to feed next door?

Most likely yes.

3. The tails are 16mm but the cut out fuse carrier says 100A. I'll try to check with the supply company tomorrow what the actual fuse rating is but if it is indeed 100A are the DNO obliged to come out and upgrade the tails?

I would doubt there will be a 100A in there but it would be best to check.
Don't know if we are obliged to change to 25mm but would of thought only a fool would leave 16 on a 100A fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back