Supply fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got this type of fuse coming into our house, under the cover it looks like a ceramic type? Fuse.
Is it possible for the supply co to come and replace this for free or will I incur a cost.
Cheers

[/img][/url]

Sponsored Links
The DNO is the responsible organisation, not the company who you buy your power from.
Re the DNO- The box is theirs, the fuse is theirs and the labels sealing the box against you tampering with it are theirs.
Why would you be wanting the fuse changed.
Almost certainly they will charge

I'm rewiring my house and wondered if it was best to get the fuse updated at the same time, it'll have to be pulled when the tails are connected so was wondering if I was best off getting it upgraded if necessary.

Re the DNO- The box is theirs, the fuse is theirs and the labels sealing the box against you tampering with it are theirs

Please read that very carefully!

You are not trained
You are not legally authorised
You will not have the appropriate protective equipment
You do not know what hazards to look for

To be allowed to open or work within that cut-out. Once the fuse is removed it WILL expose a live terminal that may be protected by a fuse size up to 630A. Get it wrong at best you WILL be in hospital for a long time.

Similarly the meter is the property of your supplier so you are again not authorised to remove the terminal cover (which should be sealed) to connect new tails.
If you do you could be opening your self to suspicions of theft.

Best bet is to talk to your DNO and get them to change it, as it's a metal clad it should be no problem, you can also ask that an isolator be fitted at the same time.
As it is their property it is not chargeable despite what is thought

Sponsored Links
Please read that very carefully!
You are not trained
You are not legally authorised
You will not have the appropriate protective equipment
You do not know what hazards to look for
To be allowed to open or work within that cut-out. Once the fuse is removed it WILL expose a live terminal that may be protected by a fuse size up to 630A. Get it wrong at best you WILL be in hospital for a long time.
This seems to be a totally unnecessary knee-jerk! The OP said absolutely nothing to suggest that he had the slightest intention of touching the cut-out himself. His one and only question was whether the "supply company" would replace it free-of-charge or whether they would charge him for doing it!

Kind Regards, John

He has already admitted to opening the metal cover, he has already suggested that the fuse will be pulled to do the CU change. He has already stated that the tails will be changed by possibly entering the meter connections.

I would rather he gets used to the fact that he or an electrician shouldn't be doing any of this before he risks himself or another getting injured.

Obviously the suggestion that folk should be advised from doing the wrong thing is no longer the thing to do on this forum.

Or is it have a go at the DNO guy time?

Obviously the suggestion that folk should be advised from doing the wrong thing is no longer the thing to do on this forum.
Of course it's the thing to do, when appropriate. However, in this case, my previous comments stand.

Kind Regards, John

......under the cover it looks like a ceramic type? Fuse........
Seems to suggest he's already been in there
As westie pointed out, indeed he has - and he clearly shouldn't have done so. However, that's history, and I'm not quite sure what else one might think he would do to it. Are you suggesting/fearing that he might be intending to pull the fuse himself, or what? As I said, all he actually asked was whether or not he would be charged for "having it replaced".

Kind Regards, John

Not at all, as per your comments, my original answer stands.
Just wondering why he'd want to look in there since the anti-tamper labels are there for a reason, which primarily is the protection of the individual.

Not at all, as per your comments, my original answer stands. Just wondering why he'd want to look in there since the anti-tamper labels are there for a reason, which primarily is the protection of the individual.
Good question - and the answer could well be as simple as 'curiosity'! In various contexts, many (most?) of us have probably been guilty in our time, even if foolishly when there were potential risks involved!

Kind Regards, John

Couldn't agree more - show me a security screw and I'm first in the queue to find out what it's hiding.

Couldn't agree more - show me a security screw and I'm first in the queue to find out what it's hiding.
Exactly. We never cease to be kids, really - tell us we mustn't do something, or try to prevent us doing it, and ..... :)

Kind Regards, John

One of the problems with offering assistance or opinions on a DIY forum is that it has to be a case of "do what we say rather than do what we do"

We all take (calculated) risks but it's a grey area when we suggest others do likewise since such suggestions might come back and bite.

Hell, I don't know why I'm still alive when I think of the stupid and not-so-stupid things I've done in my lifetime. Having survived (so far) the lessons learned from such events doesn't mean I'd recommend others to try doing likewise.

Leave it well alone, the next fuse upstream could be anything up to 630 amps at the substation, which means a potentially big explosion if something wrong with that ancient supply fuse when being interfered with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back