support columns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 2 support columns in my internal garage. There are steels running across to support extension. However I am converting this into my kitchen, The support columns are standard breeze blocks stacked ontop of each other.

When I join the internal garage to the rear utility room to form one room I am going to hit a snag. The support columns stick out by 6cm. This is causing me a major headache as I will putting a run of base units down this run. Looking at the standard base unit it gives me a service void of 42mm.

I can see two options.
1. Cut more than 42mm where units cover the support columns.
2. Cut out 3cm from the support columns (sounds dangerous to me). depth is aprox 23cm

On another note I have a single skin wall which is 1960's build. I need to build a cavity wall inside and insulate. Am I right in thinking 50mm rockwall, thermalite non loadbearing blockwork. aprox 150mm plus plasterboard or skim.

Sponsored Links
Can't you build out the wall to incorporate the columns flush, before fitting kitchen units. I know you'll loose 60mm+ but is this an issue?...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back