Support for cut-off joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've had some work done to amend some dodgy gas work and cap off unused pipes.

While the floor was up the plumber commented on the state of 3 joists that had been cut as part of works done by the previous owner to block up a doorway.

Photos below:

Other side:

Close up of the screws:

So basically, plumber reckons that the pieces of timber should be bolted rather than screwed and he recommended adding some supports under the join which is tricky as the oversite is very uneven.

I'd appreciate any advice on type of bolts to use and how to achieve effective support given the uneven surface.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Why bother unless they have actually been flexing while you walk over them?

If you want to add anything, just use 2 staggered 6mm coach screws (not bolts) for each joist

I'd clean it out a bit, lag the pipes and insulate between the joists while the floor is up.

When I cut back joists and sistered new ends on to them I used M12 bolts with a dog tooth washer in the middle with the bolts in a w pattern. That was the advice I was given on here a few years ago.

I mentioned it to my carpenter recently when he was building our extension and he said they'd just use timberloc screws and run some glue between the two joists.

If I were you I'd back out one of the screws to see what they are. If they are just normal woodscrews I'd replace them.

I'd not seen anything about putting support underneath and don't think that's required.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back