Suspicious RSJ / floor joist attachment

How do you extend joists?

Using more joists bolted on to the existing (but now shorter) joists.

That's not a very good solution, and I would be surprised if your BCO's favour this over other methods - which they can't really do, as they are not able to dictate how something is achieved, but rather just check that the end result is satisfactory.

They seem pretty happy with it to be honest. A lot of people seem to be opting for the rsj to be hidden in the ceiling, so it's a case of fit the joists on one side into the web and then extend the joists on the other side into the web on the other side.....

It's either that or joist hangers.

Sponsored Links
They seem pretty happy with it to be honest.

It's bad practice to load the flange of a beam, rather than the web. Yes, it can be done for light loading, but when there is a better option that should be taken.

In practice though it's much easier to just trim the joists equally to the width of the beam, fit timber in the web, and then slide the beam up into the floor, and fit hangers. Rather than mess about sliding the beam up and sidewards, and then extending joists.

IMO, it demonstrates the builder's skill, knowledge and consideration for the customer depending on where and how he places the beam.

^^^^ I totally agree with what you're saying but sometimes you have to be inventive. I've seen where a builder has cut the joist way too short in order to fit the rsj in place. It wont fit on a joist hanger and rather than replace the whole joist the SE and inspector have been happy for another joist to be bolted to it and have this extension sit inside the web. It's actually more work doing it like this but less than replacing the entire joist and so it's sometimes a case of working with what you have and trying to make it as good as possible.

Sponsored Links
method of fixing and support should have been specified by the designer, not left to the builders to do what suits them

Is the 'designer' the architect or the SE?

(Sorry to open an old thread, but this is a currently pertinent to me.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back