Support for new floor joists in loft conversion short of supporting wall

So, time for an update! The structural engineer did his work over the weekend and has designed a flitch beam ( 2/295x47 C25 with 290x6mm plate) spanning the 4m so providing Building Control accept the design, the solution to the problem was not as painful as I first thought it was going to be!!

Sponsored Links
Why has he included the steel plate?
On a 4m span, the two timber beams alone would be fine.

(C24, btw).

Last edited:
Not sure why Tony but as long as Building Control are happy then I will be as I need to get on with the project! Don't know why I typed C25 instead of C24!! The mistake I made was not checking what was there originally (I am not a builder just an amateur "DIY" person!!) so next time (if there is one) I will check to see where the wall plates are first rather than making assumptions! There is a similar issue with two of the other walls where the existing joists don't sit on the wall plate directly but this is easy to overcome as the wall plate will be exposed (roof in this section is being removed) so I can build up with timber to produce a support for the new joists (I drew up a sketch and sent it to the structural engineer for approval and he said that would be fine - is now with the BC for approval). Hopefully all will now be approved - I will update when I can

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back