Support for new floor joists in loft conversion short of supporting wall

Sponsored Links
I had something similar a few years ago and for some reason the SE had done all in wood, no steel.
To support the eaves floor joists, we had to fit a wall to wall beam underneath, in the ceiling below and then box it.
Another solution, maybe easier for you.

Yes, of course it would need calculating.
('Binder' is just an old term for a floor-supporting beam - ref. McKay).
Refresh my memory "McKay". I seem to remember that reference from the dim and distant past

Sponsored Links
I had something similar a few years ago and for some reason the SE had done all in wood, no steel.
To support the eaves floor joists, we had to fit a wall to wall beam underneath, in the ceiling below and then box it.
Another solution, maybe easier for you.
That would be a solution in many cases, but in the OP's case, such a beam might cut across the dormer window.

Refresh my memory "McKay". I seem to remember that reference from the dim and distant past
'McKay's Building Construction', the standard work for trainee architects from - I think - the early 1930's. My own copies go up to 1939 - not interested in anything since then.

'McKay's Building Construction', the standard work for trainee architects from - I think - the early 1930's. My own copies go up to 1939 - not interested in anything since then.
I've thought I remembered it, I think we had a copy in an office I worked in, along with old public health acts, BS's., and a few Victorian surveying books.

2020-08-21_105203.jpg

Yeah, binders doing binding, not beams doing holding up floors. o_O

I bet old McKay is rotating around his neutral axis. May I be the first to welcome you into the 21st century.
Over the years I've worked in different areas, quite often there is similar terminology with different meanings. "back pointing" in Co Durham is weak mortar bedding laid between roofing stone slate, in Yorks its the pointing on the underside of the roof covering to the tiling battens, in Co Durham this is known as torching, outside of Co Durham no one knows what a T fall roof is, in and around York the wallplate is almost universally known as the pan. So I wouldn't get to hung up on someone else's terminology.

Over the years I've worked in different areas, quite often there is similar terminology with different meanings. "back pointing" in Co Durham is weak mortar bedding laid between roofing stone slate, in Yorks its the pointing on the underside of the roof covering to the tiling battens, in Co Durham this is known as torching, outside of Co Durham no one knows what a T fall roof is, in and around York the wallplate is almost universally known as the pan. So I wouldn't get to hung up on someone else's terminology.
I'll need a time machine to work in Tony's area. LOL

That would be a solution in many cases, but in the OP's case, such a beam might cut across the dormer window.
How?
The beam would be below the loft floor joists.
To be clear, on the ceiling of the floor below the loft.

That timber beam/binder won't work if it can't go in in one piece, and I suspect the dormer window will be a factor on that side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back