Support I should expect to find under my shower cubicle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently bought a house. I noticed the shower tray in the em suite had dropped a fraction tearing the seal. I took of the facia to have a look and see if I could adjust one of the riser legs. I've found that the shower tray legs are supported on what appears to be some half nice chip board, with a hold cut out for the pipe work. Ok not a massive surprise.

However what was a surprise to me is what's under the board, nothing. The cause of the drop was that one corner of the wood had flexed and now wet just snapped/rotted away.

This lets me see down into empty space, the space between this floor and the living room below. Now that doesn't sound great to me!

What's the drill in this situation? How do you go about dealing with this? And what can I expect to pay a friendly local tradesman for it?

Sponsored Links
Probably the easiest way if you can wind up the legs then slide some lengths of say 4x1 underneath then adjust the legs down again, this will hopefully bridge any rotted chipboard

Chip board flooring isn't the best material for underneath showers. Many tray manufacturers recommend replacing the floor underneath the tray with plywood. If there are no noggins or joists to support the floor underneath in the problem area, then your tray needs to come out, and the floor repaired properly.
It might be more feasible and cheaper to access the area through the ceiling below, add a baton to support the problem area then slide in some ply or timber under the legs from above.

Sponsored Links
You`re a one , Andy - that`s not hair it`s the fibreglass mat :idea: The works Reliant Van was like that all over the inside :mrgreen:

Hahah the misses has been away for about a week so a lot of the trappings of the modern world go out of the window, like cleaning! Alternately, yup that's fibre glass :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back