Supporting Wall or Not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall that I am considering removing bar a couple of feet at each end or at least putting a double doorway through.

All the supporting walls I have read about seem to continue unbroken up through the floors forming continuous walls up through the building.

In my case the wall ends at the ceiling joists on the ground floor see pics. You can see that the original joists were cut and replacements put in place extending over the reception room. While the original joists extend to the front of the building over the front reception room on the other side of the wall.

suppwall2.jpg

suppwall3.jpg

suppwall4.jpg

On the next floor the only wall being supported (indirectly) by this wall is a clay block partition wall in two parts (see pic). The red line is the position of the wall on the ground floor in question. The rear most part of this wall in the picture lies over the first floor board next to the particle board in the second image.

suppwall1.jpg

Is this considered a true supporting wall?
Would building control need to know if this wall was partially removed?
Would a reinforced concrete lintel be adequate if I only wanted to have a double width doorway through?
Because of the nature of this wall ie ending under the joists. Could I simply build a new block wall in front of it with proposed doorway or opening in place, then knock the old wall down. This would simplify the process by not having to errect supports.

Sponsored Links
Its a load bearing wall removal will require some supports for the floor joists above, ie a steel beam etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back