Cutting out a new internal doorway. Advice needed please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to cut out a standard sized internal doorway in a 100mm thick concrete block wall that's supporting the floor joists above.
The wall runs from the front to back of the house which is about 5.5m and there's already a door about half a metre in from the front end that I intend to board over.
The new opening will be at the opposite end from the existing door in a similar position. The ceiling joist ends protrude 5 inches through the supporting wall. The joists are 8" x 2" at 400 centres and are sat on a course of standard house bricks. The concrete blocks below that is where I'd have to cut the lower halves away to fit the lintel.
As haven't attempted this before I have a few questions...
The ground floor is suspended. Is it acceptable to use acro props on a suspended floor if place over the joists?
As I only have 5" of the ceiling joists protruding could I use 'strongboy' brackets directly on the joists so that I have clearance to make the cuts etc..? Acros on their own will be too tight to work.

Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
You should use a batten on the floor across several joists. Likewise for the ceiling, and not a strongboy - as the joists will hold up the wall. Set the prop back enough to allow you to work between it and the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back