yet another load bearing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at removing 5ft ( of a 7ft) wall between two rooms. I've had three people look at it none think its supporting, but all have quoted 'based on it being none load bearing' but should it be found to be load bearing additional cost will be incurred.
So at what stage does one decide if it is or isn't load bearing???

All are charging £££'s (assuming it isn't load bearing) which seems a lot, as I don't require disposal of hard core, or finishing, making good. I could have the wall down in an hour, and would do just that if I was confident it wasnt.

The wall is on ground floor, block built, with a doorway through, plasterboard is continuous over the top of the wall between the rooms. The joist directly above is doubled up, bolted together, it run in the same direction as the wall a sit directly on top (with pb in between) Above the doorway is landing/walkway, above the wall section is a breeze block airing cupboard wall 2ft deep.

Now, working on the assumption a steel were needed the steel would be supported by the remaining part of the wall and the outside wall of the house, which are already supporting the double joist it so seems pointless to me.

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
If the plasterboard runs across the top of the wall, it's unlikely to be load-bearing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back