Supporting Wall or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondering if some could lend a guiding hand.

Basically we have an out houses at the side of my semi which is split ion to two rooms ( the overall out house building is shared with the neigbour). Firstly i would like to enclose the path way between the house and the out house to make it weather proof. Which is easy enough. But this is where my query starts.

I would like to knock the wall down facing the house, which should pose no problem, as i could just install a RSJ to support the ceiling. But there is an brick internal wall, which sperates my first out house from the second one and need to know wether it is supporting the ceiling. The ceiling is made from concrete.

So if i took this internal wall down and stetched the RGJ across the length of the gap, would it supply enough support. As ideally i would like to make this area totally weather proof and have the area as a untility room.

Any thoughts, probably needs a better explanation, or is there a way to tell if it is supporting?

Sponsored Links
If you were to remove that wall, what else will be holding the concrete ceiling up?

It's hard to say really, you'll probably need an engineer. In fact you'll definitely need one.

i would have though the concrete would ahve been poured a sone whole slab and not in 2 halves so it should be fine to remove internal wall but first just knock out a section and make sure

Thats what we were thinking, that i would have to been reiforced in some way, the internal wall we want to knock out would only open out another 5ft before ano.ther internal wall that serpates out outhouse from the neigbours

thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
I'm in a similar dilema..

I have 2 "coal sheds" under the stairs to my upstairs flat..

one is about 3ft square with a door and a void running under the stairs, the other is about 3ft deep by 6ft wide..

same concrete roof, with a wall seperating..

i want to brick up the door to the small one and knock the wall down between..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back