surely this is not right !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour currently rents and the landlord (local authority) has contractors that have left every socket in the kitchen hanging from the wall (even the elec cooker socket) they have small kids that could blow themselves to kindom come if they touch the sockets which have been like this for nearly a week.
when I went round i could not believe that contractors could leave a house this way,

your advice would be appreciated ( the neighbour says they rang a woman at the council who said " i will look into it" )
I said they should call the H&S dept am I over reacting

Sponsored Links
No your not, under the health and safety at work act contactors should not leave any installation in a condition likley to cause injury to members of the public. Are all the circuits still live or in use? To leave items of switch gear in this state the CU (mains board) should be isolated and locked off to prevent anyone switcing on. Strange a local authority should not be more concerned about this.

The sockets are live and in regular use by the family. ie Kettle, cooker, tumble drier, washing machine Etc.

not right but i think sometimes it has to be understood its a working site til they finish .There could plaster drying around them etcetc.

Its abit like them leaving there tools in a tidy place in the corner of the kitchen.....what if you trip over them! same amount of risk.

In this country common sense will soon be ruled out which makes everyones working life more difficult :cry:

i understand your concern but let them own that room for a week(or how long it takes) so they can hust get on with the job.

Sponsored Links
not right but i think sometimes it has to be understood its a working site til they finish .There could plaster drying around them etcetc.

Its abit like them leaving there tools in a tidy place in the corner of the kitchen.....what if you trip over them! same amount of risk.

In this country common sense will soon be ruled out which makes everyones working life more difficult :cry:

i understand your concern but let them own that room for a week(or how long it takes) so they can hust get on with the job.

:eek: :eek:

I just get over concerned about this country going down hill with common sense being ruled out.

Has anyone got any more red tape please :!:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

I just get over concerned about this country going down hill with common sense being ruled out.

or any mixed wiring stickers!

etc etc

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

EDIT soz i dont know why 2 come up?!

So you think it is acceptable to leave live sockets unscrewed in someones house then?

I just want common sense to stay in RF. Thats it. Im just on one of those fed up nights. Ill be ok tommrow.

Wasnt having a pop at The man/lady :rolleyes: :)

I would think this is an example of someone with no common sense what so ever.

I would be sacked for leaving an installation in a dangerous condition, however temporary it was intended to be.

Ok fair comment.

I wouldnt leave them hanging but i do often when wiring kitchens just leave the screws in a few turns so the fitters can tile behind.

Ok fair comment.

I wouldnt leave them hanging but i do often when wiring kitchens just leave the screws in a few turns so the fitters can tile behind.

Better that you fix them back properly and then it is the tilers responsibility to ensure they work safely when tiling around the sockets.I know some numpty tilers will tile up to the sockets rather than behind, but I would rather risk that than an injured tiler saying it was my fault he had a belt!

Better that you fix them back properly and then it is the tilers responsibility to ensure they work safely when tiling around the sockets.I know some numpty tilers will tile up to the sockets rather than behind, but I would rather risk that than an injured tiler saying it was my fault he had a belt!

http://www.electricaltimes.co.uk/products/article.asp?articleid=4946 ;)

P.S. seen one kitchen where the numpy tilers went round fittings on one wall, but did it properly on another wall!...ah well... the high standard of works in social housing :LOL:

or any mixed wiring stickers!

Mixed wiring stickers may not seem relevant for single phase boards for those who work on 3 phase board with mixed colours it's a different ball game.

Blacks and blues in the neutral block, blacks and blues in the MCB's :confused: . Not to bad when adding a new circuit but when moving circuits around serious concentration is required because the risks of making a mistake are much higher.

A lot of the boards I get involved with are on essential supplies so the first time I get to see inside is at midnight during planned works. From my point of view the stickers give a heads up on what to expect.

I don't like inappropriate red tape either but the safety of the people using the installation and those that are installing/working on it must come before anything else.

Leaving live accessories unfixed beggars belief

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back