Surface or Slim LED downlights wiring (T&E)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The scenario is a very shallow void of 25mm + Plasterboard+skim so say 40mm tops. Has anyone come accross either surface mount or otherwise ultra slim recessed LED downlights than you can terminate 2 x 1mm T&E into ? I can find plenty of slim downlights on line but cant see how they can be wired properly ensuring sheath is within the accessory and CPC continuityt maintained. The alternative is to find a very shallow chocbox that wago or similar maint free conectors could be contained. Looking for ideas for how others have gone about it (Vaulted ceiling, celotex etc without compromising the insulation)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The T + E goes into the driver, not the actual fitting, the two then plug into each other with a small plug and socket that is prewired into each bit.
However not all can easily accept 2 cables so some like the Enlite ones are often prewired with a short 2 core, i usually connect that straight into a Hagar J804 junction box.
Best googling Round Led panels rather than downlighters

Great Thanks for that, any enlite models you have used you would use again ? How big are the drivers for those ?

None have really been in long enough to recommend, we use various ones in retail situations , more for ease of fitting than necessity of needing them shallow.
The main factor i would quess to affect lifespan would be heat dissipation of the driver in a shallow void. not a problem for us as we fit in suspended ceilings.
Most drivers will have a Max temperature stamped on them.
Physical size the drivers about the same as the Electronic transformers used for halogens, the sizes vary with make.

We also sometimes use NVC, theres some pics here to give you a rough quide of the driver size, most of these panels use similar size drivers, usually hard to tell if they take 2 cables really and most are a bit fiddly even when they say they can.

Toolstation also sell the Enlite ones if you wanted to see an actual unit

http://www.nvcuk.com/en/products/harsted-v2/90.htm

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yep they look good - seems limiting factor is the driver size for this type of fitting. looks about 40mm is the best you expect to get away with to squeeze in the driver somewhere close to the aperture .

Given the low current involved you could maybe xtend the cable between driver and light so the driver can go somewhere more accessible?

Unlike Electronic Transformers, I have yet to see one with a limit to the length

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back