Surface Rain water into sewerage system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the heavy rain this week I noticed that water from the driveway is flowing to the rear of the house and to a gully on the opposite side.

I am planning on installing a channel drain and guild the water to a sewerage manhole nearby. Any issues with doing that?

Very similar to what is done here https://mobile.twitter.com/TheDrainPeople/status/1182724604030312448/photo/2

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200820_195718~2.jpg
    MVIMG_20200820_195718~2.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 272
Sponsored Links
As far as I can tell the, water from the down pipe in the picture is already going in the same manhole.

Is the water from your toilet going through this manhole too?
Get someone to flush some bog roll and watch for a few minutes.

Sponsored Links
Find out if its a rain water or a foul water manhole. And also if it is your manhole (just serving your house) or the water company's (other pipe rrom neighbours passing through it).

If its a surface water drain or combined system its OK, however if your property has seperate foul and surface water systems it should not be connected into the foul water system.

The man hole just serves our property. There are two inlets to the manhole. One from the down pipe (the toilet waste terminates into this too) and other from kitchen sink. So it's a mixed system.

Now I don't think I need to touch the manhole at all. I can probably just T into the pipe that comes from kitchen waste.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200822_160227~2.jpg
    MVIMG_20200822_160227~2.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 253
  • MVIMG_20200822_155403.jpg
    MVIMG_20200822_155403.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 246
That's a bodge no rainwater would go into a soil stack

Anyway, despite what is there now, no new rainwater drainage should be going in to the drainage system.

I found the drainage map from when we bought the house, what's a transferred drain?
Is it likely that there is a connection to the surface water drain from the property?
There is a surface water gully on the right hand side of the property, so could it be the case of bit of digging to find what that connects to? Is there any way of getting drainage maps at property level?

Attachments

• map.PNG
    map.PNG
    374.1 KB · Views: 238
Section 60 of the Building Act specifically precludes the SW being connected into a vent pipe regardless of whether it has a separate or combined system. Long time since I've had to reference that one!!! Last time I had to implement it was pre 86 before the building act '85 came into force when it was covered under either the public health act '36 or '61, probably the '36 act but can't remember for sure
Looking at your property it may be old enough to have been on a combined system but you need to carry out a little more investigation

A transferred drain is a former private drain that is now the responsibility of the water Co as it serves more than one property, it may either be a combined sewer or foul water only sewer.
Building control may have the original plans, but drainage has a habit of being installed differently to the approved plans.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back