Surge protection extension cable for small generator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a small Wolf 800w generator that is in effect the same as the Screwfix Impax one. It has a three pin socket on it for running whatever appliance. We will want ,while camping, to charge phones, laptop etc from it and I am considering buying a surge protector extension cable for protection. In anyone's experience should this give good protection on this setup? Thanks

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that "surge protection" is designed to absorb very short high voltage transients, as might result from a lightning strike somewhere on the power network.

Google suggests that your generator uses an inverter. Is this true? If so, it should output a nice well-regulated supply. Even if it isn't, the fluctuations in the supply will not, IMO, be the sort that "surge protection" will improve.

the chargers you mention are usually very tolerant of voltages. there might be a data label, but I recall seeing some that are rated 100v - 250v input, and I've seen USB phone chargers, intended to run off about 14v in a car fag lighter socket, that will work off a 9v PP3 battery.

I believe CFL and LED lamps are also very tolerant.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies all. Regarding using a generator on the campsite rest assured we are permitted to use it, however unlikely it may seem, as we and friends are with have the campsite to ourselves. We thought of checking beforehand .

800 watt generator seems over the top for what you require. Why not use a small inverter off the car/caravan battery?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back