Surrey or warix flange to fit 3/4 inch male tank outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We moved into our house about three years ago and the previous owners had installed a pump for the mixer shower by teeing the hot feed from the vent pipe as the first take off.

The pump takes several attempts to actually draw hot water to the shower so I assume it's pulling air down the vent rather than water from the tank.

I wanted to install a Surrey or warix flange (difference?) but the outlet in the top of the cylinder is a 3/4 inch male (the thread measured just over an inch which my engineering type father tells me is a 3/4 inch outlet). I can't seem to find a flange to suit this outlet.

I did think there may be a boss installed in the top of the cylinder but having taken back some of the insulation it's definitely part of the copper tank, not a brass insert.

Any ideas if a flange exists to sort our issue before I go drilling the cylinder for an essex flange which is just a bit scary. But then you should do scary things occasionally. What's the worst that can happen.

Sponsored Links
You can just come off the top of the tank with a 45 degree fitting. Then from this tee off the 45 degree pipe so you have a pipe feeding the pump which initially comes back down at a 45 degree angle. The other end of the tee will continue up and connect to the vent pipe. This works in much the same way as it ensures any air will continue up the pipe and not down to the pump. Not sure if that makes sense but if you look up Stuart turner pump installation instructions on the internet it will explain it better and have a diagram.

As above or use a 22mm-3/4" bsp female iron, then a 3/4" warix would be next best. But remember the warix flange side connection goes to the vent, the top goes to the pump. Also you can turn side outlet to any position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back