Survey Results - Cavity Wall Insulation - Health Concerns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just received my full building survey report for a property I am interested in purchasing. However, it mentions the existence of cavity wall insulation but not what TYPE (e.g. foam, etc.)

I have been told (by a friend) that if it is foam based, then to avoid the property as there are health concerns associated with such insulations (and cannot be removed as it is stuck to wall like expanding foam). These foam based insulations are now banned (so I believe).

I am no expert in this matter (hence I asked my friend for some advice who is also no expert) and would appreciate any input from forum members on this matter. I have asked the EA for some information on the type of insulation and also whether there is any guarantee/documentation available - I'm yet to hear back.

Thanks, Ash

Sponsored Links
You would have to place your nose up against the formheldehyde foam and breathe it for a constant few days for a problem to develop.

You will be at greater risk when you breathe the traffic fumes coming in through the open windows, or sanding a bit of filler and inhaling the dust when you move in and redecorate.

IIRC, this issue was bought up in one of those 'World in Action' programmes many years ago. Great TV, distorted facts, but great TV.

It's funny that you you asked your non-expert friend for advice, and then are concerned by his non-expert advice. I would ignore him and end the friendship - he probably wants to put you off, so he can jump in and buy it to make a few £k profit. lol

Sponsored Links
Building Control Office at your local planning department, it's free advice as well ;)

Your friend is right , urea formaldyhye foam does carry certain health risks.
Whilst these may be slight, the biggest problem with this type of cavity wall insulation is that when it dried out cracks sometimes developed in the foam and this allowed water to creep across the cavity and onto the internal wall face.
As you have already been told the foam cannot be removed so the problem becomes very costly to rectify.

Plaster, timber and paint has certain health risks, and so does furniture polish and most other things we take for granted in the home. So in context, risk is lower than many other things in the home

IIRC, formheldehyde was common in soap and shampoo products for many years

We had this type of cavity wall insulation installed when we moved into our house in 1980. Best thing we ever did - snug as a bug in a rug and no problems whatsoever 26 years on.

Yes, and my granny is 90 and smoked her whole life! The cigarette health scare is a con!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back