Survey to check on a builder's roofing work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Theoretically this shouldn't be a DIY question, but it's becoming one.

I've had most of our house re-roofed by a builder, but am becoming a bit suspect as to the quality of the work. He's already been back to fix some issues (twice now) and I've also fixed another issue myself; seemed less hassle than waiting for him to do it.

I'm concerned there are more problems and am considering whether it's worth getting a survey company to produce a report on the roof. Given my concerns, is this the best course of action?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
A local RICS Chartered Surveyor can be instructed to survey the roof work but make sure they are told that the report may be used as evidence in a claim against the builder so they can prepare it accordingly.

Think about how the roof will be accessed to allow the surveyor to look at things properly. If the roofer was a member of a trade body, such as the NFRC, then contact them.

Sponsored Links
I'm fairly sure the builder is not a member of any trade body.

How much should I expect to pay for a roofing survey? The roof is mainly slate. The house is a largish 3-bed house, 1.5 storey with two dormers. Plan view is a T-shape i.e. an (old) extension sticking out the back (the stalk of the T, hope that makes sense). There is also a modern one storey tiled extension at the front.

B.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back